Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

my PC is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

It seems that I applied the wrong bios update to my computer, HOWEVER, I do have the CORRECT updates available on CD, and I also found an update on a website that works as well.

Because the update I applied is currently incorrect, nothing appears on the screen when I turn my computer on. The only ISA card I have now is a soundcard.

What I want to do is manually inject the correct data into the bios chip and then when I stick it in my computer and turn it on, it will work the way it did before I flashed it wrong.

The BIOS chip is a Winbond W29EE011-15. It turns out to be a 128K CMOS Flash ROM.

Because I have screwed up a parallel port before, I want to enter a safer approach.

I want to make a device that reads the data (in binary format, sequentially) from the floppy disk and send it to the chip without anything else involved (except maybe an LED to indicate completion).

For programming the BIOS chip, Is it as easy as enabling the WE and CE pins, selecting the address (A0 to A17), and sending output to the data (D0 to D8) pins, or is there something else involved?

and exactly, what is the pinout of the floppy disk interface?

and do you think this is a good solution, or so I go with a different method instead?

borrow someone elses bios chip from the same motherboard, start the machine up with the good bios in, then once its at whatever stage it needs to be at, take the good bios out, and put the badly flashed bios in... yes, with the computer on...

First thing - WHY did you try and update your BIOS?, did you have a specific problem which an update was supposed to cure?. Otherwise it's not a good idea to try and update it, it's a process which is fraught with possible disaster! - particularly if you don't make absolutely sure you get the right one!

If you're lucky?, and you have a suitable board? (the motherboard manual will tell you), some boards have a dual-BIOS - this allows you to restore the original one if you mess it up!.

If you ask nicely, someone who has a programmer might be able to re-program your chip for you.

You just have to pay the postage both ways. Much much cheaper than getting a new eprom from the manufacturer or building a device to program the existing one.

mstechca said:
It seems that I applied the wrong bios update to my computer, HOWEVER, I do have the CORRECT updates available on CD, and I also found an update on a website that works as well.

Because the update I applied is currently incorrect, nothing appears on the screen when I turn my computer on. The only ISA card I have now is a soundcard.

What I want to do is manually inject the correct data into the bios chip and then when I stick it in my computer and turn it on, it will work the way it did before I flashed it wrong.

The BIOS chip is a Winbond W29EE011-15. It turns out to be a 128K CMOS Flash ROM.

Because I have screwed up a parallel port before, I want to enter a safer approach.

I want to make a device that reads the data (in binary format, sequentially) from the floppy disk and send it to the chip without anything else involved (except maybe an LED to indicate completion).

For programming the BIOS chip, Is it as easy as enabling the WE and CE pins, selecting the address (A0 to A17), and sending output to the data (D0 to D8) pins, or is there something else involved?

and exactly, what is the pinout of the floppy disk interface?

and do you think this is a good solution, or so I go with a different method instead?

Can you give the make/type number of the motherboard?
Many motherboards have a failsafe system that allows flashing a new bios from diskette by using a special keycombo, even when the current bios is gone/wrong.

It seems to be a rather old board? because you want to flash the chip manually, leading me to believe it isnt an SMD flash chip yet?

a tip always use an ups when doing this kind of stuff because if the power goes in the middle of the flashing u will be the one flashing with anger :wink:

I have just hit a "gold mine" :lol:

I found a store that was throwing out (and giving away) old computers. I picked up two P1 motherboards from the computers and I managed to get one working great.

What I intend to do now is scrap my old motherboard, and literally claim the capacitors as well as the flash chip and other valuable components from it.

I flashed it because I was trying to get more speed out of it. Now this time, I am going to try to backup the chip.

flashing it will not give u more speed unless u r updating to make it compatible with a faster processor but in the days of the p1 it was very hardware wise for example the fsb and multiplier were set with jumpers and not via the bios making it a physical problem tat flashing the bios could not resolve.

As an aside, you should check around for used computers stores, especially ones that deal in "off-lease" business computers. Most larger urban centres have a few stores like this. I shop at one regularily, there are alot of perfectly good machines being practically given away at unbelievable prices. The store I go to regularily gets pallets full of identical machines, mostly IBM, Compaq, HP that are being dumped by large businesses. For example, I just bought a Compaq PII 450, 128M ram, 10Gig SCSI drive, for 20 dollars. It has a decent video card, and a 40 dollar 3Com network card. Nice part is since they were corporate workhorse machines, well built with name brand parts, so you can find documentation and drivers. I have several now, mostly running Linux, or are servers, going 24/7. My wife uses one of them, a PIII 800, 10Gig SCSI, 256 M , it was 75 dollars.

Sometimes trying to resurect really old machines is only good as entertainment.

if u want to make good use of that lot u have click the link on my sig to find out what u can do with em. wish i had a shop like that near me

mstechca said:
I flashed it because I was trying to get more speed out of it. Now this time, I am going to try to backup the chip.

As Thunderchild says, flashing the bios won't make it any faster, unless you're fitting a faster processor and the bios requires updating to support it? I've only ever once flashed a bios, that was to give improved support for larger hard drives - the reasons for the updates should be clearly given in the documentation. So DON'T try flashing unless there's a specific reason, it's a process fraught with danger!.

Thunderchild said:
if u want to make good use of that lot u have click the link on my sig to find out what u can do with em. wish i had a shop like that near me

I see that there is a Linux version of THINK, thanks for the website link.
Looks like something I will have to check into. Two of the boxes have a fair bit of idle time, sounds like a good use for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back