My wall needs decorating

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it seems my wall needs decorating. I have a patch of the wall that is blank. I need to cover it with something and I'm thinking something electronics related.

Posters? Ornaments? Mounts? What ever, give me some ideas.

Put up a shelf or two. Find some nostalgic electronics, anything from a few old vacuum tubes, an old radio, just some old classic stuff. Open a beer, step back and admire it. Done!

Ron

Put up a 60" or larger LCD monitor. Then you can put whatever you want for a display -- from art to science to your ex's picture.

John

Leave the wall blank for now and use it as a 'wall of success' and 'wall of fail'
Divide the wall into two.
Each time you complete a project and it works to your satisfaction, take a pic of the result and make a note underneath, with schematics, describing how it works.
Each time you make a mistake and let the smoke out, take a pic of the result and make a note underneath, with schematics, describing what happened and why.
Any time you aren't sure about something, look at the wall and see if you have been there before.
Hope you never find yourself needing a bigger 'fail' section, than 'success' section of the wall!!

That actually sounds like a pretty cool idea.

I don't have much up right now cause I'm still getting organized, but blank spaces is always easily filled with reference material.

On the walls of our home's "dining area", my wife and I hung a large periodic table of elements, and on the other an old 16K core memory plane PCB (the cores aren't visible - they are behind a metal plate on the board, and even if the plate was removed, I tend to think it would be difficult - though not impossible - to see the actual cores).

Another idea might be to mount a "disassembled" PC - though powered and working - on the wall (the FCC or your equivalent might not be pleased, though)...

cr0sh:

That is quite unusual. What kind of comments have you had?

Next time do it as a mural. <G>

Most people we have had over either have no understanding of what it is or what it is for (the periodic table); when we try to explain its importance, their eyes glaze over like they were back in high-school chemistry class. Its fun to watch the transformation. Some see it, and know what it is, then they avoid it with their eyes - like it was a pentagram drawn in blood or something. We find it amusing, and at the same time, a pity. One of the greatest of mankind's tools for understanding the universe, and it's held in fundamental disregard - and sometimes "fear".

As far as the core memory is concerned - they have no idea what they are looking at, or any comprehension of what it means compared to modern technology (the board, IIRC, has a 1976 date code on it - technically, it was already "obsolete" when it was made). They can't understand that the board, which is about the size of a standard LP record album cover - has magnitudes less memory than is contained on their postage-stamp sized SIM card in their cell phone. Forget even trying to explain the basics of how it worked.

Both pieces effectively scream "major geeks live here" - and all that implies.

Then again, you should see some of the other decorations in this room; we have an old console piano (neither of us play, though, which is a pity - but we found it at Goodwill for $25.00!) on one wall, along with a set of red-painted open shadow boxes we made to display various knick-knacks and such; small old antique items, curio items, and a few fossils. On one wall we have an antique decoupaged pith helmet (my wife and I are fans of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series of mystery novels; we fancy to think Mrs. Peabody may have worn such a hat). On another wall we have some very unique pieces of amateur graphic art; they are done in a form of mixed media (pencil and acrylic, I think) - and look mathematical and somewhat inspired by computer graphics; they date from the late-1960s.

Finally, we have sitting on our piano my mother's false teeth in a sealed mason jar of water; she passed away in 2009 from dementia/Alzheimer's, after living with us for about 8 months. She hardly ever wore them while she lived with us, not likely their "fit", but she was too far gone to have new ones fitted; we forgot to give them to the mortician when we had her body prepared for the funeral. They are actually a pleasant reminder of her, from a time in hers and our lives when things weren't always pleasant (and many times were very chaotic). They remind us about those good times than the "bad", and bring a smile to our faces.

They totally whig-out strangers, though - heh.

That is so cool. I think I would be in heaven if I saw your place.

I just has two toilet issues in the past two weeks:
1. I dropped a bar of Dove soap in the toilet and it got away. Now I have 20/20 hindsight the next time. The fix was a toilet auger and a garden hose.
2. The flush handle broke and the toilet tank has a wierd shape, so I made an ADA compliant flush mechanism for about 6 days until I got the parts. I took the top of the tank off and fitted a rope to the flush mechanism to a shelf bar above it. Then stapled a sign on it for the direction to pull. You had to pull UP on the rope to flush the toilet. Mom has trouble operating a new toaster. Irons, washers and dryer's are OK. The dryer is 42 years old.

I don't like the toaster. The functionality is fine. The ergonomics is horrible: e.g. When you push the bar to toast, the light next to the cancel button lights up blue. When you press bagel, reheat and frozen their corresponding lights light up.
A red LED for cancel would have helped. they don't organize the buttons right; Cancel, [bagel, frozen], reheat]. At least that's what I think it is. An order like Frozen, Bagel, Cancel, Reheat from top to bottom would make more sense with the cancel light being a different color (Red or Green). Red is normal for stop buttons and my order goes from highest to lowest times I think. The bagel mode doesn't make much sense. The instructions claim that the cut side and the other side cook differently, but they fail to mention orientation of the bread which I think would matter.

I hate to throw things away. That's why there are two TV's that have a channel 1 on the channel selector and a couple of 36 year old lawn mowers. I just upgraded one to electronic ignition.

Last year I retrofitted a home made shed with Unistrut door slides. One bearing $15.00 each and you need 4. 2 stops and a hunk of Unistrut. Actually 2, but I should have gotten 1. 2 lengths ship UPS, but a single longer one could have been drop shipped to a retail location, I think. Knowing that I cannot knock this door off the hinges, I put 1/4" x 1/4" screen on the inside to keep things from being able to jam the door.

I don't like to fix things multiple times. It was a sad day when the 40+ year old metal gas can sprung a leak. It was probably due to the corn (ethanol) in the gas. I even threw out the lawn spreader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…