Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mysterious Reset... HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchjs

I got a Atmel circuit runing my audio system that i built its
controlled from a PC via a COM Port..

I only have pins 2/3 &5 connect to a MAX232 then to the avr

simple... it all works... till.....

I ignite my GAS Range in the kitchen in the other room
the spark that is generated, causes the ATMEL to reset!!!

ok, when i unplug the 1/8" plug that has my rs232lines from the PC
it no longer does!

and the wire is just 10' long, when i coil it up near my plastic enclosure
where the avr project is held... it does not reset when sparked

so... i need to protect the avr circuit, how do it keep this noise out
my guess is its on the ground... maybe traveling though outlets to pc on the nutral wire? i cant belive its being picked up via the wires...
im using belden 9535, the shield is connected to pin 5 and to the db9 houseing... then pin 2 is black, pin 3 is red... i bring that to a 1/8" plug, tip is black, ring is red, and sleeve is the shield/grnd

i cant figure this out!

mitch

If I had to guess I'd say this was a problem with grounding. A voltage spike coupled from the cable into your ground might be causing a brouwnout reset. Try adding a RC filter between the RS232 sheild and the circuit ground.

Filter Capacitors

Place a capacitor from the reset pin to ground and also from VCC to ground (near the uC VCC and the max232 transceiver VCC). A value of 0.1uF for each should work. The signal you are generating with the spark has very high frequency and should be easily filtered out.

i got the reset pin tied high through 10k ohm, and decoupled too with .1 cap
i got .1 cap accross vcc and gnd on max232, and on AVR

mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back