Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

n00b with a tail light query

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off - HI :D

I've done a search on this but couldn't find anything that answered my question specifically.

I'm trying to construct some custom rear lights (like alot of other people I see on here), and I'm hitting problems.

This is what I want to happen

normal lights on....

**broken link removed**

brakes on....

**broken link removed**

The problem I'm having is that when I simulate normal lights on, all of the lights light up dim, not just the ones I want.

This is how they are currently wired up... (please excuse the shocking skill )

**broken link removed**

Thanks in advance for any advice offered... or comments on my skillz :lol:

Ant

If you close the first switch, you can easily see that one of the paths for current flow could be as follow.
switch -> 1kohm -> 100ohm -> 100ohm -> 5leds -> gnd

Why not reorganise your switches. There's a master on-off switch, and another switch which is default-on to light up the centre cross?

As per Nigel's suggestion.

Attachments

• wiring1.gif
    wiring1.gif
    26 KB · Views: 822
Modify the last circuit so that all resistances are more equal. Replace the 1K with a diode, andshort the 100 ohm before the diode already present. put a resistor between the point where two diodes meet and the string of lights. Now make all resistances the same value. Don't go lower than 100 ohms.

Is this for a motorcycle or a car?
I replaced my cars tail light bulbs with store bought LED fittings and now my blinkers go super fast. I hope to someday get the entire taillight assembly from a junk car ('97 cougar), open them up and make a huge board of LED's over the entire red reflector part. Hmm, if I moved the license plate, I could put a huge scrolling message board accross the back of my car. Tell all those tailgaters what I think of them, lol.
~Mike

Why not just have the middle lights always on, connected to the 12v all the time, and the outer lights connected to the brake?

mstechca said:
Modify the last circuit so that all resistances are more equal. Replace the 1K with a diode, andshort the 100 ohm before the diode already present. put a resistor between the point where two diodes meet and the string of lights. Now make all resistances the same value. Don't go lower than 100 ohms.

Thought you have spotted a mistake and doing it your way can save one resistor? :twisted:

The different resistor values are there for a good reason. If you don't get it, go out tonight and watch the brake light when the driver brakes.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You need two diodes to make an OR gate to feed the centre LED's, or even one would do - on the brake light side.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,

Nigel and eblc1388, from what I have read on various pages, your suggestion will be the first one I try as I believe this will give me the results I'm after.

Its for a car by the way.

Thanks again,
Ant

eblc1388 said:
mstechca said:
Modify the last circuit so that all resistances are more equal. Replace the 1K with a diode, andshort the 100 <a href="#">ohm</a> before the diode already present. put a resistor between the point where two diodes meet and the string of lights. Now make all resistances the same value. Don't go lower than 100 ohms.

Thought you have spotted a mistake and doing it your way can save one resistor? :twisted:

The different resistor values are there for a good reason. If you don't get it, go out tonight and watch the brake light when the driver brakes.

yes, but he's got 1/4 the LED's for the tail light so that its duller than the brake lights, he doesn't need to make the LED's dimmer aswell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back