Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nas-4010 Caddy Pinout/Help/Miracle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteec

Hi all,

I recently brought a Nas off fleebay,When it arrived it didnt have any caddies with it and it wasn't a standard interface plug. its an ide interface,but the hotswap connector is sca 80,So i guess the caddies got a board that converts the plug back to ide.

I can find very little about it anywhere on the net,and so far i've managed to find caddies,but at the price of £130 each!!,Since i need 4 not a very cost effective project for a limited ide box.

Then thought i could maybe pinout the connector and hopefully "work out" what went where,This seems to be proving a bit more of a mission that i'd of hoped,(i've not had smoke yet tho :)..),Been on it 2 weeks so far and made very little progess yet.

I have managed to work out a rough pin guide... however since the connector has 80 pins and ide has 40 + power connector (4 pin pc molex)... nothing yet is looking like a logical layout.

The 80 pin connector seems to use the first 3 pins at both ends (and on both sides) for the 5V and 12V for the drive,and every other pin inbetween seems to be grounded/missed out,so that leaves me with 68 pins which isn't enough for a full ide interface if missing every other one out.

I do have some rough info that i've worked out so far for some of the pins,as in which pin is going to which ic etc,If anyone fancys a look??

Also wondering if anyone knows which pins on a ide interface i DO NOT NEED,As this would also solve my problem of not having enough pins.Many homebrew sites sugguest that i dont need upto about 8 of them!!

Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts on this.

Sorry, no - but I would suggest buying one of the overpriced caddies and having a look at it. You could trace it out easier, and there may be additional circuitry to facilitate the hot swap operation on the caddie board.

Hi,Thanks for your reply,
I too was also wondering about this fact that the caddie might have some sort of processor that is only supplied to the maker.Patterned for them only maybe?
i tried looking up some of the other ic's one of them being a p15c 34x245b which seems to be some sort of i/o switching device(this seems to connect to the data lines of hard drive),and the other was a promise pss10198e which i couldnt find anything on,but i found a little by taking the E off,neither of which helped me much.
I'm trying different things with it as it would be a great little box and exactly what i need,who knows i might strike lucky!,Also dont wanna have the "fleebays done me again" feeling so the thought of that is keeping me motivated!!

Cheers for your thoughts

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Be tragic to bust your hump trying to work out that connector only to find out it needs a custom programmed microcontroller to park the heads (or whatever) during a hot swap.

Or it might have some decoding logic, something that would explain all those missing pins, and if the decoding was done with a programmed logic array you would be screwed again.

It's a terrific looking enclosure and I hope you get it working.

Yea thanks man,

Currently still pinning out so when i finished i'll post it up and get peoples thoughts.
Waiting on a friend to take socket off for me too.. give me a clearer picture.

Thanks

I admire your spirit to beat fleaBay. I have a f-dup coil winder and other crap in my garage waiting for the same flea-beating spirit to arise within me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back