Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

navigation switch for micro project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Am completing the pcb for a micro project with 4 buttons used for lcd menu selection.

Rather than a typical straight line of switches though that a navigation ok arrow tv remote type of buttons would look neat.

Though the actual switch is easily bought the button faces seem scarce, a few complete ones on ebay UK but at £20 ish !

Anyone know of a good source of a complete assembly at a sensible price or is it more a case of buy a cheap tv remote and extract the parts ?

TV remotes won't contain mechanical switches - they use conductive pads mounted on a flexible sheet to press against PCB traces. Search for "push button switch" on eBay for some options.

I bought some (I say some ) micro switches from china.... One here was £2.50 I got 100 for £2.50 with free delivery... I have 99 left!! The only issue is they are side operated...( it was for a tablet repair!! ) If they are any use???

Just search for SMD micro tactile switch...

Josea, thanks, did not realise the remotes were all the flexi types.

Ian, thanks , but was looking for the 5 way switches and button covers.

Nothing on ebay but after another search have just found one such complete beastie at Farnells for £10.50, thought they would be more popular ..
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1679699.pdf

Would a joystick work for you? They are as cheap as a buck on eBay.
Screenshot_2016-03-07-01-35-36-1.jpg

Thanks, but with just 2 pots and one switch it would need a lot of code rework, perhaps more suited to a larger tft screen than a 16x2 lcd I currently use.
Also do not think it would sit too well on a cabinet bezel having to go over at such a steep angle.

Attachments

• 000288.jpg
    000288.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 255
Oops...that does appear to have pots. Some similarly sized units have 4 sets of switch contacts. The picture shows an example.
SmartSelectImage_2016-03-07-02-00-01.png

That takes me back to the original question, can get the 5 way switches ok, its the key caps to make it complete that needed.
Seems that Farnell unit is the only option.

You could use a **broken link removed** and a **broken link removed** as a cost effective solution...or not.

Thanks for the ideas, have a load of the tactile switches and square/round caps ( part of a bundle of RS goodies bought by a trade mate for helping him out on a job).
Could set them up in a button 'cross' layout but a job to cut out the control panel neatly.

Think I will settle for the Farnell/Element14 one at £10, a bit of a luxury but could look neat, matching the blue lcd and being an easy single round hole to drill out.

Attachments

• 000289.jpg
    000289.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 000290.jpg
    000290.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 252
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back