Need 1M RF to link two PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

andersonj55126

Need 1meter RF to link two PIC

I am looking for cheap options to link two PIC together. It needs to be wireless and to start with I am looking for using a one way link. I have looked at using 400MHz transmitter and receiver modules but I think there may be cheaper ways to do this considering it only need to transmit 1 meter. I have also looked at using ultrasonic transducers.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
what bandwidth? Infrared is a reasonable choice for very short range. Two things to look for are 38KHz modulated "remote control sensors", or if you need higher bandwidth, IRDA type modules.

As already suggested, you don't make your requirements at all clear! - if it is 1 mbps?, then you're living in 'fairy land'!.

Check my tutorials for both IR and radio PIC interfacing.

1 meter
10Kbit per second should be plenty, but I am open to things much slower.

Infrared is not my first choice because of line of sight issues.

Last edited:
andersonj55126 said:
1 meter
10Kbit per second should be plenty

Infrared is not my first choice because of line of sight issues.

IR links are normally far slower than that - what is your application?.

If line of sight is an issue, then go for radio modules, but again your application and desired speed is an issue - because of the overheads involved.

IRDA specs go up to 4 Mbit/sec (not easy mind you), but LOS is a big requirement.

If you can make your own PCB, you can might want to use chips from this company - **broken link removed** . The chips tend to be in the US$4-5 range and are relatively easy to use.

The longshot would be to just use magnetic coupling, RFID style. If you have a stationary unit that is attached to the wall, make a big coil and pulse out a signal. 1M seems to be reasonably close to see something like that. (Mind you the coil is going to eat up a couple watts of power). RFID stuff usually works in 10's of KHz and up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…