Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a current limiter design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

northendtrooper

I have way too much current going back to my DC power supply (6v/6a). I have a 4 ohm heating element that I need to keep up at max current. What could be used, minimally in parts, to bring down the amps to keep from killing/cooking my DC supply.
Cheers,
trooper

hi,

A 4 Ohm resistor connected to a 6V supply will only draw 6V/4R = 1.5 Amps.

Is this what you are asking.??

E.

Eric,
I just got back from doing some quick measurements. Excuse me that the resistance that I am looking at for my nichrome coil is .1-.4 ohms, yes it is very small. I have a stack of AA Duracell Copper Top batteries in series putting down 6v and 9amps. Each Copper top has the ability of 2+amps.
I need a circuit that will allow the nichrome to heat up to 800 degree (I did the math for this gauge and amps) and have a following circuit/chip to down the volts/amps back to the battery so it doesn't heat them up. Basically too much current/voltage back to the batteries. I am researching transformers, inverting amp, capacitors and inductors for my solution. I can't do much resistance because the low impedance of the nichrome.

Last edited:
You need an efficient way to convert the battery voltage to the low voltage and high current required by the nichrome wire. Typically that would be done with a switching regulator.

I have a stack of AA Duracell Copper Top batteries in series putting down 6v and 9amps. Each Copper top has the ability of 2+amps.
:confused: If the batteries are in series and each can produce ~2A then the series stack can produce ~2A, not 9A.
AA cells will generate 2A for a short time only (<30 mins).

crutshow, if you could please show me an example of the circuit you are referring to. Please be patient with me, I haven't been in electronics for over 5 years so I feel like I'm new to the game all over again.

alec, I recommend putting 4 AA in series and tell me what the amps are. You would be surprised as much as I was.

I recommend putting 4 AA in series and tell me what the amps are.
No thanks: I can't afford to flatten AA cells like that. Supplying AAs for my grandchildren's various gadgets is costly enough :D

Four AA alkaline cells in series produce 6V only when they are brand new.
With a 4 ohm load (1.5A!) then their voltage quickly drops and the current also drops.

Duracell have a graph for their AA alkaline cell that shows its voltage dropping very quickly with a 0.5A load. It is not suitable to use a 1.5A load.

Attachments

• AA duracell alkaline discharge.PNG
    AA duracell alkaline discharge.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 205
Hey trooper, do you have **broken link removed**? If so, take off the tip and hook it to your Nichrome wire.

It seems like you would be better off if you used a single battery and chose your wire size to match it. This sounds like a lighter? Give a few more details like wire length and gage and what it is used for.

I think it is an electric cigarette that produces a vapour. They use a little rechargeable battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back