Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need A Genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiefDog

Not sure how into electrical you are, im stumped. im looking for an electronic counter that can take any *switch* signal and basically count for every time the switch closes and then have a set able limit, (so if the switch opens and closes 100 times) it will close a set of contacts for a set amount of time. have any idea where i can find a device like this? smaller electronics, not a bulky plc device.

I was also thinking i could take multiple small devices and get them to work together, like having my mag switch running as a direct input, go to a counter which at a settable count (preferably on the device with an lcd screeen) that would count every time the mag switch closes, then once it reachs the settable count it would send power OR close a set of contacts on itself in which i could wire the coil of a relay to control the device onces the mag switch closes to the set limit on the counter....

I CANNOT for the life of me find anything like this and i know the reason i cant find anything is because i dont really know what im searching for in terms of google. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you aaaaand first post =]

-Stumped Electrician

**broken link removed**
Electrical counter. I can't remember where I got these from. I am using it to count how many gallons of water is used.

One counter for those 100.
One bistable to: start a timer for XX seconds / close the designated switches .
Timer above to reset the bistable once done, opening the switches.

Is it that?

If you've never seen a batch counter issimilar to rons pic, only there are 2 displays, one is the count, and the other is the 'batch', you set the batch by pressing keys to inc/dec that digit, and when the batch and actual count match you get an o/p, which you can use to reset the counter and drive an external circuit.
Heres one:

**broken link removed**

Welcome to the forum.

Use a adjustable electronic counter to turn ON a timer relay after 100 counts. Set the adjustable timer relay to the time you need. Allen Bradley and Potter and Brumfield both sell timer relays, seconds, minutes, and hours. Ebay has good prices.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

One time I set up a punch press to punch out 56 pieces of sheet metal to be bolted together and used as a counter weight. Push both palm buttons on the press it ran 56 parts and the press stopped. All 56 parts collected in a slide tray. The slide tray came out and the operator put them in a holder. Push the palm buttons the machine made another 56 parts. High speed punch press made 56 parts in a few seconds.

I don't know what your application is but it sounds easy.

Last edited:
I would go with a programmable batch counter to count Up or Dn as was suggested or build a programmable down counter using a pair of chips like the 74192. Likely much easier to just buy a turn key solution programmable counter. Once the programmed counts are reached be they 100 (99 down to 00) an output pulse starts a simpe one shot timer for the timing of your choosing.

Counters can be had in smaller packages than I linked to.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back