Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a place to start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester009

Hi,

I need to come up with a circuit to generate alternating currents. (Range 0-5A sinusoidal) It needs to be controlled through a user interface in the computer. I'm clueless guys. Plz help...
Give me a place where can start. I should admit that I'm a NOOB :(

Anybody have any idea??

I have got three suggestions so far...
1). Using a triac with a PIC to control its firing angle...
2). Generate PWM and drive a half bridge with IGBT's...
3). Use an audio amplifier controlled by audio signal source...

I don't have an in-depth knowledge about any of these designs. Can anybody please comment on these... I'm kinda lost :(

Can you give us an idea of what frequency and voltage ranges you want in addition to the 0-5A capability?
1). Using a triac with a PIC to control its firing angle...
This will give you a fixed output frequency and not a very nice sinewave at all.
2). Generate PWM and drive a half bridge with IGBT's...
This will do what you want, but is somewhat complicated for a noob.
3). Use an audio amplifier controlled by audio signal source...
This is will also work over a limited frequency range determined by the audio amp's frequency response.
You could use something like this with the audio amp:
**broken link removed**

Hi kchriste,

Thanks a lot for the reply. This is going to be used to test relays, i.e. apply a specified current and measure the tripping time. I don't have a clear idea about the voltage :( I have to generate a 50Hz sine wave of specified current ranging (0 - 5A)

I decided to take the amplifier option. So I guess the basic block diagram should be like this...

**broken link removed**

I still don't have an in-depth knowledge about the design. :(

I searched a bit and came up with a signal source. Hope I'll be able to use this...
Code:
http://wiredworld.tripod.com/tronics/signal_source.html

Please add comments... Will it be easy to follow the design with IGBT??

hi,
If its 50Hz and sinusoidal, why not use a Variac Transformer to drive a 1:1 isolation transformer [ thats if the isolation is required] ?

The voltage isnt specified, so taking the worst case as mains ie; 250Vac then
250 * 5 = 1.25KVA rating for both transformers.

You can get motorised Variacs that the PIC/driver can control.

Yes I agree, but It's better to have the isolation transformer as at low voltages the current will be 'lost' magnetising the isolation transformer,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back