Need a timing circuit for motor control

Status
Not open for further replies.

crunch53

Could someone help me with a circuit I’m trying to make. I have a geared motor that’s 3 volts. I’m not sure of the current right now. If I push a micro switch I want the motor to either make a certain number of revolutions or stay on for a certain amount of seconds. This should only be able to be done maybe 2 to 3 times every hour or 2 or the micro switch is disabled until that time. There should also be an led that is lit whenever the switch can be pressed. If possible the times should be easily adjustable.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

You can do it with a 555 timer in monstable mode, probably using a relay to actually switch the motor?.

However, you can only switch the motor for a certain TIME, in order to rotate a certain number of revolutions you need some kind of positional feedback from the motor (and a completely different system). How far the motor rotates in the set time will vary with the load, and other external conditions (like temperature) - how accurate does it need to be?.

It doesn’t need to be real accurate.
Time or revolutions will work but I think I would rather have revolutions to control it better. Like I say it is a geared motor so let’s say that I want an led sitting next to the micro switch. The led is on right now. I push the switch and the output shaft of the motor turns 3 times and stops. 45 minutes later I do the same thing again. The circuit is set to do this only twice in 2 hours. So now the led goes off and the motor will not run either. 2 hours has passed since the beginning and alls well. Now the switch can be pressed 2 more times in the next 2 hours. The motor I’m working with right now is running on 3 volts. No load is about 100 milliamps and with a load I can get it up to around 300 milliamps.
I was thinking about a 555 also with a few other parts.
I would love to try those PICs. I’ve heard of them but that’s about it. (I know enough about some of this to be dangerous) There are so many things I would like to do that I think those things would be perfect for. I would imagine the programmer and the software is fairly expensive and then there’s the old learning curve.
Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…