Need Advice on Corner Wall Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouknight84

Really need help with this one!

Just bought a 50 inch plasma from circuit city. I am going to be putting it in the corner of my living room since it is the only place condusive in the room. Problem is, I am having alot of difficulty finding a wall mount that will work so that it will be centered in the corner.

I have looked all over the internet, but I am sure there is a expert out there that knows better. I want the most INEXPENSIVE mount as possible. They told me at Circuit city that I need to pay 550 bucks, but then I go to monoprice.com and they are VERY cheap.

Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Thank you VERY much for your help!

Which wallmount model was $550? If it's a jointed arm mount they're expensive because they've got to be because of the forces involved. You also must mount them on wooden joists.
How cheap do you want? I spent $350 on mine via eBay.

Last edited:
I just want something cheap. I don't have to be able to even move it, once it is positioned in the corner. I want to make sure that I get the right one and don't have to return something or get the wrong one becuase I had incorrect dimensions.

Wallmounts aren't cheap and I'm not sure what's going to work in your corner situation. 50" is a big TV whats it weigh 75lbs. Have you tried posing in an AV forum like digitalhome.ca instead of an electronics forum like this one?

Try searching eBay or Craigslist.

Amongst my other jobs at work, I also mount TV's on walls

The only commercial brackets we have to do this are the jointed arm ones, where you can mount it on one wall, and swing it in the corner - and these are expensive (but not $550).

However, I would only be happy mounting them on a solid brick or stone wall (and I use plenty of fixings at that), not a studding wall.

I would suggest fitting a wooden board (3/4 ply) across the corner with 2x2 framing, and fastening the TV to that with a normal flat mounting bracket.

Hi,

Nigel, i was going to suggest a home brewed model too

I built my own and it's robotic so it tilts back and forth.
It's possible, but you have to be very careful to make sure it
is extremely overbuilt so that it is sturdy because you dont want it
to fall during earthquakes or after many days of normal vibration.

The trick with mine was finding the right screw size for the back.
Once i found that it was just a matter of good construction technique.

To really play it safe you can include a beam or two that reaches all
the way to the floor that can take some of the load, rather than the
wall taking all the load. Paint it, make it look nice, build some shelves
under it, and you have a whole custom entertainment system unit.
Maybe stain the wood instead for a nice finished wood look.

You can sure do a lot with 500 dollars and certainly get a lot more
than a single wall mount with that much money. I bet it can be
done for 50 bucks, but 200 will get you a really nice looking setup.

Last edited:
The trick with mine was finding the right screw size for the back.

Not a problem - every wall mount I do comes with bags of different size and length screws, plus spacers and washers. I keep all the spare ones and sort them out at work, I've got hundreds of the things - particularly the largest thread ones, which we only use on Samsung 50 inch Plasma's. The vast majority of sets we fit are Sony, and they mostly use the next size down - not got so many of those.

Hi Nigel,

The reason it was a problem for me was because i was building mine
completely from scratch, with nothing bought except for raw lumber
and some metal products. This meant i had to hunt for the screws
myself, and it took a while because the screw holes in the thing
were a little strange and so the right size didnt seem to fit at first.
It was only after i bought a second scew that was the same size
as those i had all along that i learned that those were the right size.
They ended up being metric sizes, which i usually dont stock myself.

To safely mount this television set, you need to use 3/8" nuts and bolts through the wall attached to a retention plate on the other side. Screws cannot hold that weight for very long before they fall to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…