Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need assistance with Free loader style project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee0jmt

The project is to make a phone charger similar to the free loader.

I have a low voltage supply (0.4) which I am converting to 5V using a charge pump and DC-DC Converter. The problem is that the circuit is unable to supply enough current directly from the source. So the plan is to have a battery which gets charged from the source. When a phone is connected the battery will be used in parallel with the source to charge the phone. The battery will potentially be charged continuously from the source, even when a phone is not connected.

My questions are:

1) What type of battery is best for this type of application? Should I use a battery charge management chip?
2) When a phone is connected and being charged is there anyway to set the source as the main supply and only top up the current from the battery if required.
3) I should probably go for a 4.8V battery as this will still be within the USB Spec. Otherwise it would be a 3.6V Battery and then use another DC-DC converter to boost it to 5 V. (Not very efficient)

Any tips / advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

First, how much current can the 0.4V supply?

No, 0.4V * 0.2A = 0.08W, or 1.2W/0.4V = 3A. Which is it?

Its 1.2W so I should have said around 200mA.

My math says 1.2 watts at .4 volts is 3 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back