Need capacitor calculations on power

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfireworks

I have a power supply that has an input of 24vdc and has an output of 200vdc that charges capacitors. The power supply puts out 200vdc at 175ma before the capacitors.

My question is What is the power output through 220uf electrolitic capacitors rated at 250vdc from the power supply of 200vdc 175ma? and also with 100uf electorlitic capacors through the same power supply?

Will the current be constant at 175ma or will it be increased?

The capacitors put out a bigger charge than the normal power supply, but I don't know what the power output would be.

Last edited:
The overall power would be the same, but the pulse power would increase as capacitance increases, so it depends on the load you're dealing with.

Sceadwian said:
The overall power would be the same, but the pulse power would increase as capacitance increases, so it depends on the load you're dealing with.

The load is ematch, each ematch has a resistance of about 2 ohm's and consumes about 50 to 75ma depending on the ematch quality. The idea is to be able to fire as many ematch as possible while keeping the integrety of the 24 ga wire and not causing problems, wire is rated for 300v. We are using about 600' of wire out to the ematch and back
24 gage wire has 25.67 ohms per 1000' or 0.02567 ohms per foot.

300' of cable is 600' out and back.
600 * 0.02567 = 15.402 ohms

Lets assume an ematch is 2 ohms
amp = volts / ohms
My basic system uses 24vdc
amp = 24 / (15.402 + 2) = 1.38 amps (300' of cable)

However I have upgraded my power supply to 200vdc at 175ma and I need calculations using Capacitors at 220uf and 100uf both rated at 250vdc.

Since Capacitance is not my area I am totally lost in the Capacitor calculation area or what the final effect on ematch will be or how many ematch it will really ignite. In my test the power supply has ignited more than 20 ematch. These test are done in parellel it will fire more in series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…