Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help building simple (maybe) circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

calden

Hello, this is my first post so take it easy on me. I hope I don't confuse you with my lack of knowledge of this subject. I had an idea for a circuit I want to build. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I've dealt with very very basic circuits and understand how that works. I have a background in r/c so I can solder, read basic schematics etc. I just need to know what I need and how it goes together. I hope to learn quite a bit in this venture.

Basicly, I need to modify an exsisting circuit. Its a switch that controls a motor. Simply put push up the motor goes forward, push down it goes in reverse, and let go it returns to neutral and the motor stops. Pretty much like a window in your car (it also stops when its done just like the car window) . The switch has 5 wires going to it. I'm not exactly sure why there are so many and what each one is used for. I figured it would need 3 at the most. Is it possible the other 2 are for disabling the switch when its finished its cycle and cannot go any further?

What I want to change for this circuit is I want be able to do a one touch operation (similar to a cars window again). Some models you press the switch down once and it automaticly goes down. Eliminating the need to press and hold it.

Am I looking at a huge undertaking trying to figure this out and building what I want? Thanks so much for your help.

What you have now sounds like a spring loaded center off DPDT switch. It is used to send current to the motor to run it forward or backward.

To make the motor stop at the top and bottom you should have normaly closed limit switches. When the moving thing contacts either limit switch it opens the circuit for that direction.

Does that sound like the circuit you have ?

You could add a pair of DPDT latching relays. I have never worked with then.

Yes it does! Sorry its so confusing. Its a convertible top. I really want a one touch top down. Maybe up too.

This is fairly simple to achieve with either one or two DPCO (double pole changeover) relays depending if you want one-touch for one or both directions. You will also need some form of reset switch, to stop the motor when it's in it's end position.

I have a circuit diagram but I cannot post it from work, so will have a go tonight if you're still interested in a solution.

p.s. the 5 wire switch you're talking about sounds very similar to your typical older electric car-window switch: it should have 3 supply wires and 2 'output' wires - the 3 supply wires are usually live, neutral, live (or the reverse) the 2 output wires are then connected to either live or neutral depending on the switch postition.

Righty, try this:
**broken link removed**

The above is how you'd wire up the relays and motor for one touch on both open and close. If you just want open, then you can replace the close relay with a single-pole changover.

The schematic arrangement of the switch I mentioned before is similar to this:
**broken link removed**

This allows direct connection to the motor, though it is easy to insert a pair of DPCO relays as shown above to take the current load away from the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back