Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help for a converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo123

Hello, and thank you for helping me. I don't know anything about electronics :eek: and I would like your help to built something to convert 12VDC 1600mA to 8VDC 200 mA. Please provide me with the materials needed and the schematic if needed or the instructions on how to assemble.Thank you.

You need a 7808 three terminal regulator and a couple of capacitors. The power dissipation will be (12-8)*.2 = 800 mW so you'll probably need a heatsink. Google for "7808 datasheet" and look for application notes on the manufacturers website. I'm sorry but I don't have any of those parts on hand, but Digi-key is sure to have a truly overwhelming selection.

type of capacitor

Thank you for your reply. Are there some number for the capacitors needed. How the heat sink will be conected...How all the parts will be welded? Please provide me with more details.
Jojo123

We don't WELD electonic parts into a circuit, we SOLDER them onto a printed circuit board or onto stripboard.

The datasheet for the 7808 voltage regulator IC shows which capacitor values to use.

You don't have a clue about electronics. Do gardening or knitting instead.
NOOBIES, Yikes.

Let me ask the question differently

Ok let me ask the question differently.

I have a cd player that use a transformer of 12VDC 1600mA and I would like to connect inside of that radio a spycam that need 8VDC 200 mA. My little son said something to me about his nanny and I need proof about what he said. This is the only way I can use this spy cam. Is there an easy way to do that.
Thank you again for helping me

A 7808 IC is an 8V voltage regulator. It takes an input from 10.5V to 35V and gives an output of 8.0V at up to 1A.
If the camera needs only 200mA then it takes only 200mA.
Your 12VDC power supply can supply from zero current up to 1.6A.

The regulator will have 4V across it and 200mA through it so it will heat with 0.8W and will become warm and will be fine without a heatsink.

OK it is becoming clearer now. So as I can see there are 3 pins, one input, one ground and one output. All I have to do is to connect the wires and that's it.

If I don't use the capacitor, will the cam blow out?

Thank you again

The datasheet for the uA78xx series of voltage regulators shows two capacitors that should be used.

Attachments

• uA78xx regulator.PNG
    uA78xx regulator.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 125
Can't you simply buy a wall wart (wall transformer) to power the spy camera? Or how about a few 9v batteries connected in parallel? Those two things are alot easier than fashioning up a 8v regulated supply if you've never done it before. Do you have a solder pencil and know how to solder effectively?
Look at this set-up for a mere $60 US. It comes with everything, the wireless color camera, receiver, power adaptors and even runs for 8hrs. on a 9v battery!
https://www.secretsecuritycamera.com/hiddensecuritycam.htm

HiTech said:
Can't you simply buy a wall wart (wall transformer) to power the spy camera? Or how about a few 9v batteries connected in parallel? Those two things are alot easier than fashioning up a 8v regulated supply if you've never done it before. Do you have a solder pencil and know how to solder effectively?
Look at this set-up for a mere $60 US. It comes with everything, the wireless color camera, receiver, power adaptors and even runs for 8hrs. on a 9v battery!
https://www.secretsecuritycamera.com/hiddensecuritycam.htm
He wants to hide the camera inside a radio.

Don't spy on her undressing. And don't post the video on the internet.
Simply ask her to undress in front of you.

At a former employer of mine years ago, we suspected the janitorial staff of having fun with the television studio equipment, often screwing up settings for us the next day. So at the request of my boss, I set up a hidden camera and recorder. What we found on the tape was hilarious to us, but disgusting to my boss. A female janitor would enter the studio, write down the settings of some of the equipment knobs, move the satellite dish around, turn on the CCTV monitors to watch out for the security staff or her supervisor should they be walking on that floor. She sat at my boss' desk picking her nose and wiping it on his desk mat!!! We LAO as he sprayed his entire desk with hospital grade disinfectant!! He then took the tape to security and janitorial departments. She was fired. We continued to joke him further by telling him we heard rumors that her big ex-con boyfriend has been looking for him, seen sometimes hanging out in the parking ramp after work!!! LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back