need help for my FYP..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_0

hello world.. peace to all...

this is my 1st post here. i need some advice about my FYP. actually, i have been given from my lecturer about shooting target retreival system project and i'm doing this system alone. after a study, i found that i can use PIC as microcontroller. the system will consist 4x4 keypad and lcd dispay. this is how it's work.. we need to put our desired range on the keypad such as 20meter and it will display on the lcd. after that a motor will move a cable that hang the target according to the range that we put on the kaypad. the problem that i found is, how can pic remember the last range that i put. like when i ask to go to 30meter it will know that the current range is 20meter. actually i need to make a prototype for this system. need someone to give me any advice for my project. some circuit or diagram are really helpfull. i really appreciate any advice now.

(my english is bad.. hope u dont mind)

thanks..

Last edited:
Welcome,
You joined in July and this is you first post

First know that no one here is going to do your project for you.
That would be cheating the school and yourself.

Since english is not your first language I can understand if we have communication problems.

What is your field of study ?
Do you know how to program and in C, Basic, or PIC assembler ?

Maybe a program like this

Get distance value D from keypad
Move target to distance C
Wait for shooter to press finished button
Move target back to home position (use limit switch)
Do it all again.​

thanks 4 reply.. i did join in July. i search for idea for my project proposal in here. actually i'm computer engineering student. yes i did have some basic about c and PIC assembler. it's not like i need someone to do my project and cheating. i need an advice for my project but for data gathering for the first report. i got some idea doing this project. this system already been made in market. i feel like to improvise and do my own coding and so on. the problem is i don't know whether PIC can memory the input that we put. can you explain some about the idea u just tell. my friend just say that i actually don't need memory. just encode the motor and save the timing. i just got an idea using analog system but i do look to use keypad. i need to sync between analog switch and and keypad but i don't know how. here some idea i did attach along together..can anyone explain to me.. i really appreciate your response.. thank you..

Attachments

• keypad.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 142
You can learn a lot by reading posts here. A few university students have said they learn more here then in class.

To answer your question. Most PICs have either EEPROM or FLASH memory, both are non violate. That is to say the save the value even when the power is off.

I am thinking that you could build any needed values into a constant array in the program. Example: for 100 yards you read array element 100 which provides the correct positioning information, maybe a motor revolution count.

3v0

Of course a PIC can remember what you type in... It seems like a very strange question to ask from someone that says they have some experiance programming. If power isn't lost just use a register or memory to store the range byte(s) If you want it to remember during power off have part of your power down sequence be storing the current range value in flash or eeprom, and your power up sequence be retrieve that byte. Read Microchips documents on reading and writing to flash or eeprom during run time, it's not that complicated. eeprom may be the only option as I'm not sure what PICS have the ability to modify their own flash.

sorry about my weird question. actually i only understand a basic for pic not clearly understand . i take an external class to study about PIC. thanks for ur response. i dont actually know about this EEPROM and thanks for telling me. i will ask someone to help me understand this EEPROM. can i know something about this EEPROM. any advice or tutorial from any website. i learn PIC to complete my project. my last class only cover till stepper motor controller. in this forum i gain some useful knowledge from expert as u guys. i really want to master PIC not just for my FYP but i really look into building a robot after finish my project. i really appreciate ur response.

Just the language barrier then. Don't forget to ask about FLASH memory. While most PICS have eeprom you can on PICs that have the ability to alter their own program use store and retrieve functions on flash data. It is usually used for table retrieval so as to not waste eeprom on essentially static data, but flash and self altering code can be greatly advantagous to a programmer. One just must take into acount the finite lifespace of writing to flash memory, eeprom has a similar limit though it's more finely defined. Basically, do anything and everything you can do reduce the number of times you have to write to flash or eeprom and your device will perform better in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…