Need help identifying this burnt out resistor

artvandalai

The resistor on my waterpik WP-100W burntout. I need help identifying the resistor with a correct replacement. I want to know if this 47ohm 2watt resistor is fusible, flame retardant, flameproof and the correct tolerance to replace it with??

45 Ohms will be relatively more expensive in single qty yet only 4.2% higher current limiting .

Considering AC voltage can vary 10% and the part aged prematurely from thermal stress, the slightly reduced current with the higher resistance ought to be a suitable replacement. The thermal marks appear like they use a plastic metal film type so a WW will be more reliable. Metal-film has a lower thermal coefficient or PTC value (last band) which is not critical here but MF are worse for thermal resistance. So the resistor acts like a thermal fuse that failed prematurely. (unless your location has higher than normal Vac.)

I recommend a 47 Ohm wirewound 2W 5% resistor. Choose a source with inexpensive mail order.
Adding a 1k 1/4W resistor in parallel to the 47 Ohm 2W will match the 45 Ohm 2W exactly and cost < $1.

Your photo looks like the 2nd band is more GREEN than purple but that depends on your lighting.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…