need help in regulating a DC supply of 24 volts and 5A

Status
Not open for further replies.

umair1986

I am creating a regulated 3.4 Volts 5 Amp DC supply from 24 volts 5Amp DC supply, now the problem is that when I use a load of 2 amp the transistors start heating up and then burnt out even I m using heat sinks, due to heavy power dissipation on transistor.I m attaching a schematic of my regulator supply,kindly check it and help me out.I have to dirve a load about 5 amp.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Linear regulator scheme is very poor as you are wasting 20.6W as heat for every ampere you put into the load. Under a 5A loading, that's more than 100W. The voltage difference are too great and the current too high.

Either use a huge heatsink or use switch mode PS instead.

thanx:

can u plz give me a circuit diagram of such power supply dat can provide 3.4 volts and 5 Amps.plzzzzzzzz n thnx for da rep i will try ur suggestion.

The output voltage is regulated within about 1V.
A voltage regulator IC regulates the output to within about 10mV, which is 100 times better.

Gaston said:
how is that regulated when there is no feedback from the output?
Yes there is, infact 100% of the output (Rl) is fed back to the input (the base).

As the emitter voltage rises, the base terminal is lifted up in the opposite direction of the input current from the zener shunt regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…