Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help on Monitor driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajaneesh

Dear all,

Currently i have a single board computer (with X86 processor,128Mb flash, No hard disk) which runs on DOS and i have an application done in Turbo C runs on it. This board drives any kind of monitors regardless of the size(15" , 17", 19" .....) and type (CRT / TFT / LCD ).

Now i have ported my application in an ARM 7 controller, but iam not getting any idea how to drive the monitors like my above Single board computer does. Will it be possible to make a hardware to interface any kind of monitors ?
My application size is only 2Mb.

Look forward to see your valuable guidance...

The size and type of the monitors makes no difference, they are all VGA montitors, so you just need to create a VGA interface and drivers.

Depending on the speed required you may even be able to do this in software, there's an old application on the PICList using a PIC to directly drive a VGA monitor in real time and do FFT spectrum analysis.

Nigel Goodwin said:
The size and type of the monitors makes no difference, they are all VGA montitors, so you just need to create a VGA interface and drivers.

Depending on the speed required you may even be able to do this in software, there's an old application on the PICList using a PIC to directly drive a VGA monitor in real time and do FFT spectrum analysis.

Hi Negel,

Thanks for your points. I dont have much idea on this. Can you please guide me the how to proceed in this? Does it possible to get a VGA driver chip and integrate it with the controller directly? Or do i need to write a device driver for this ? Where will i get more info about this...

Thanks in advance

don't know if it will help, but I would rather considered a FPGA based approach. The hardware then would be diode-resistor network + fpga chip. Also, i believe that it is possible to do it with psoc and even 8051, but fpga seems more streight forward to me in this kind of proj.
Never really tried implementing it myself, though, but altera's UP2 development board (pretty old one) has vga drive circuit on it.

lexter said:
don't know if it will help, but I would rather considered a FPGA based approach. The hardware then would be diode-resistor network + fpga chip. Also, i believe that it is possible to do it with psoc and even 8051, but fpga seems more streight forward to me in this kind of proj.
Never really tried implementing it myself, though, but altera's UP2 development board (pretty old one) has vga drive circuit on it.

Hi Lexter,

Thanks for the suggestion. Iam not good in FPGA design...looking for some simple steps. Is there any controller with inbuilt VGA driver?
I have one more doubt.....Does it possible to load and run DOS in any controller?

Thanks in advance

Rajaneesh said:
Hi Negel,

Thanks for your points. I dont have much idea on this. Can you please guide me the how to proceed in this? Does it possible to get a VGA driver chip and integrate it with the controller directly? Or do i need to write a device driver for this ? Where will i get more info about this...

All the kind of information (and chips) that you might find useful are probably years old now, when did VGA first start?.

To do it entirely in software you first have to understand the specification required, then generate the required timing and levels accurately.

Hi Lexter,

Thanks for the suggestion. Iam not good in FPGA design...looking for some simple steps. Is there any controller with inbuilt VGA driver?
I have one more doubt.....Does it possible to load and run DOS in any controller?

Thanks in advance

Well, i think you can find vhdl files for driving vga with fpga.

As for dos - not really, if we are talking about the same thing.

Hi Lexter,

Thanks in advance
Controllers have the operating systems, you could also develop one if you want, under the name RTOS. It could perhaps include a driver for a display device(many times mux'ed seven segment display). It would be very small and generally used to reside in an external e(e) prom. With modern ones one could use internal memory, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back