Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help programming 16F877

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittydog42

I am trying to program a 16F877 from a hex file using my P16PRO parallel port programmer. I can't get it to program with either ICProg or Picallw software, and I checked that I have the latest versions. Code protect is shown as off when I open the hex file. I know my programmer works because I used to use ICProg all the time to program 12F629s. I just downloaded WinPicProg 1.91 but do not know which options to set for a P16PRO programmer, so I have not tried it yet. Any ideas as to what my problem may be?

Maybe this is also a stupid question, but which direction does the 40-pin PIC mount to the P16PRO40? It indicates which end pin 1 goes to for 8, 18, and 28 pin PICS. I just tried to program again this morning using WinPicProg with no luck.

Low voltage is not checked.

I also tried using the resistor between ground and RB3, with no luck.

The error message is "Program Verify failed at address 0x000. Programming aborted."

Last edited:
Pin 1 on all PIC's point the same way, toward the lever on the ZIF socket. That error message is commonly caused by a poor power supply, either too low, or too much ripple.

My P16PRO40 has the individual sockets, not the ZIF. I will change my power supply and try again, but this one used to work. I am only at 18.3VDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back