Need help quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I have an emergency. I have just builded the attached circuit, but the IGBT's went up in smoke, when I plugged in the 230V mains. It's a circuit for driving a 230V inductor motor in three phases with IGBT's controlled from a PIC.

I really need some ideas on how to drive such a motor with a simple circuit, though I need to use the motor in a few days. Have you any ideas on how to do it with no special components (like IGBT's) or how to fix my other circuit?

Any help will be appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

• Three phase IGBT inverter.pdf
    13.6 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
What is it that prevents both upper and lower devices from being ON at the same time?
As I see it when the PIC side is unpowered the LEDs in the optos will be OFF, the output transistors in the optos will be OFF and the 1K pullup resistors will pull the inputs of the TC426 high and the outputs of the TC426 will be low and the IGBT's will all be off. This is a good thing.

When the PIC is powered on the behavior of the port pins is critical. If they are high impedance with pullups enabled then the LEDs in the optos will be ON, the transistors in the optos will be ON pulling the inputs to the TC426 LOW, allowing the outputs to go HIGH turning both IGBT's ON letting out the magic smoke. Is that what happens, or did I overlook something?

Last edited:
It wasn't actually the IGBT's if I wrote that. The 10k resistor to the gate burned out, but the power was only 15.6V to that, which is not enough. Can the capacitor give some energy to kill the resistor?

What was the power rating on the 10K resistors? It is hard to imagine more than 15.6 Volts across the resistors. If they were 1/10 Watt 0805 SMT resistors then
Code:
15.6V/10K = 1.56 mA
((1.56 mA)^2)*10K = 24 mW
NOT enough for smoke
The only thing the 10K resistors do is slow down the switching of the IGBT's. So when did the resistors smoke? How many of them smoked? What was the PIC doing when they smoked? Would it be possible to actually include some relevent and useful information in your post if you want some actual help instead of rank speculation?

Last edited:
just a guess but it sounds more like 230 was across the 10K resistor - that's 5W. poof! Probably a wiring error.

Only five of the resistors smoke. They started to smoke, when a just pluged in the main supply. The PIC wasn't connected then. I therefore didn't had the time to measure the voltage to the resistors.

I tested the circuit with a 20V DC supply (soldered to the cap) before adding the 230V. It worked fine and only 15.6V to the resistors. The motor (a smaller one) started running with the supply of 5V. Is it possible that the 230V mains is interrupting the driver IC's?

Could you clarify what you mean by:
"Is it possible that the 230V mains is interrupting the driver IC's?"

The gate of an IGBT like the gate of a FET does NOT draw appreciable DC or quiescent current. The only way I see for five resistors out of six to be destroyed is a wiring mistake. Without more information I don't see any possibility of helping you further.

The driver chips are connected to 15.6VDC and the output side of some optos also connected to 15.6VDC. Now you still, after two requests, have not told us what the power rating or size of the 10K resistors was. If they were 1/10 watt you might need at least 150 mW for some amount of time to make them go up in smoke. Working backwards
Code:
150 mW / 10K = 15e-6
SQRT(15e-6) = 3.87e-3
3.87e-3 * 10K = 38.7V
So back of the envelope you would need almost 39 Volts across the 10K to produce enough current to cause them to smoke.

This suggests a wiring error since you have no source of 39V on your board.

Once again you have failed to answer the original question which was: What prevents BOTH IGBT's from being on at the same time when the PIC is not in control?

The power rating for the resistor is/was 250mW so that should be more than enough, and nothing is currently protecting the IGBT's from being ON. They might have to be pulled up in order for the driver IC to pull them down.

But..But..if you pull up the gates won't they be on ALL the time?!
Oh...I see you mean pull up the inputs to the driver IC.
But they are already pulled up by the resistor on the output of the optos.

You need to look for a current path that took out 5 of 6 resistors. What is different about the one that was saved?

I guess you're just going to have to buy me a plane ticket to Denmark. Lovely country, wouldn't mind another visit?

LOL

Last edited:
Hi - Where did you get the 15.6 volt supply from? Was it isolated from mains Neutral, Live and Earth. Also isolated from the low voltage supply for the controller? The negative side of the 15v supply will go to approx -300 volts WRT Mains Neutral - can the power supply isolation take it?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…