Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help....searching for prefabbed tracking transmitter/receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcticAL

Hello all,

New to the forum, and looking for some direction...

Firstly, I know almost nothing about electronics...and researching on my own, I almost immediately get lost in the technical lingo. Please help in a language a 5 year old would understand.

I have an idea that utilizes a tracking transmitter with a directional antenna. Basically Im trying to find something thats lost in a maximum of a one square mile area.

Are there any prefabricated (ready to go) transmitters and directional receivers/antennas available for purchase anywhere?

The ones I have found on the internet are very specialized for a certain use. I have found many plans and schematics for building your own fm transmitter (which can use any fm receiver to locate).

But I have not found a basic small transmitter that transmits a pulse on such-and-such frequency for sale. Do they sell things like this at electronic supply stores?

I would think, for as many DIY plans available on the net, there has to be some prefabbed units for sale somewhere.

Optimally, I would like them as small as possible....and as cheap as possible...but at this point, Im having a hard time finding anything at all!

Any help?

Thanks a ton!

AL

Try Googling for "wildlife radio tracking"

That will bring lots of solutions.

I have a feeling that they will not meet your "as cheap as possible" requrement but it is a start if yoy want an off the shelf solution.

JimB

Some cell phones have an app to locate family member's phones using GPS.

I have used the STPA-418H-B RF Transmitter module which is a prefabbed low cost module with a built in antenna. It only requires 3 connections (Power, Ground, and Data). It transmits on the license free Industrial Band at 418 Mhz. I used a simple 555 timer to pulse it with data. The companion receiver is the RXB4411S-418-RH but any receiver capable of reception at 418 Mhz will work.

Since you are planning to use a directional antenna (Yagi?) and radio direction finding techniques, you need a receiver that has an AM detector (not FM), preferably with an manual RF gain control, and an S-meter. The skills required to do this have a steep learning curve. Look up "RDF", "RadioSport", "Bunny Hunting", "T-hunts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back