Need help to find the proper converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, converters to change RS232 (at the computer) to USB do not exist.

The article you link to seems to be a bit confused as to what is being converted to what.
Others may disagree, but at a first read through it appears to be a load of tosh.

I dont think that it is possible to do what you want to do.

JimB

The normal RS232 out on a PC is the 9 pin male connector. If you want or need a straight through adapter to go from DB9 male to female just get what is commonly called a "Gender Bender" adapter. They are very common. They also come in Female to Female as well as Male to Male. The only way I know of to get USB from a PC that does not have USB is to add a USB card internally to the PC. While I have seen plenty of USB to Serial Port adapters I have never seen a Serial Port to USB adapter for external use.

I believe you have things backwards. Whet do you have and where do you want to go? From what to what starting with the PC?

Ron

Adapting a modern USB printer to work with a RS-232 computer port is a lot more complex than just making an adapter to mate the two connectors. The information on the two are totally different. While I'm sure you could code a uController to do the hardware interface, you would at best get garbage on the printer output.

Back in the days when RS-232 was used for printing, the printers were mostly ascii character printers with a limited character and command set. The PC said print an "A", and that's exactly what the printer did, using it's one and only font. Most modern printers are expecting the PC to send them a few hundred bytes that define all of the myriad details of exactly what the "A" should look like. Font, size, bold, italics, color, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…