Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help to get a picaxe recording and relaying infrared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micro22

Hi, im new here and need some help.

I have got a picaxe 08m and need help with programming it, what i need it to do is record commands from a infrared remote then constantly repeat them in a continuous loop out of an ir led. It doesnt have to interprit the codes or anything like that, it just needs to record and repeat them.

I have been reading all i can on how to program it and so far can do some simple things like control motors but something complex like this is way over my head, I have it all hooked up on a breadboard with a ir sensor on pin 4-infrain and a ir led on pin 7-infraout.

Ill appreciate any help no matter how small it may be:D

I have it all hooked up on a breadboard with a ir sensor on pin 4-infrain and a ir led on pin 7-infraout.

Ill appreciate any help no matter how small it may be:D

First, you'll need two PICaxe 8M's, or a seperate I-R source such as a TV remote. What you describe would be like attempting to get the PICaxe to talk to itself, over and over.

Refer to the Infrain and Infraout dialog in your PICaxe on-line manual.

Hi, i am using the commands from a tv remote so i dont think i will need two of them.

I have looked through the manual about the infrain and infraout but it seems like it is talking about something differant from what i want to do.

To put it simple, i want to be able to hit a button on a tv remote then i want the picaxe to record that signal using a ir sensor and simply repeat it out of an led.

To put it simple, i want to be able to hit a button on a tv remote then i want the picaxe to record that signal using a ir sensor and simply repeat it out of an led.

Sorry. I guess I did not quite gather what you were describing in your original post.

I'll give it some thought. It seems our first problem will be capturing the individual elements of the displayed code, then storing them in a data string of some sort.

It should be possible to do what you describe with almost any PIC. Problem with the PICAxe is it's a BASIC interpreter and is designed for ease of use vs tight code.

Not necessarily, however most here prefer the "standard" PICs. We all use compliers with high-level structure, so it is a very simple thing in our code. Since Microchip wanted to market the pixaxe to be a "beginner friendly" unit, they gambled on the easy interface with not all the flexibility.

I would recommend using a 12F683 and you can do what you want for cheap. There are many free compilers for such, a programmer is cheap, click on Bill's(blueroomelectronics) sites link above for a starting point. Matter of fact ask him how much for a complete setup to get started. His support is stellar, just look around the forums, and we all are here to help as well ;)

-BaC
PS. good luck in your journey.
So i guess what im trying to do is not possible unless i get a differant microcontroller?

Last edited:
Let me revise my statement;
I know the PICAXE is not marketed by Microchip themselves, but while stating that. Why not go to the heart of a PICAXE, and program the micro-controller itself.

-BaC

;) @ blueroomelectronics

Not necessarily, however most here prefer the "standard" PICs. We all use compliers with high-level structure, so it is a very simple thing in our code. Since Microchip wanted to market the pixaxe to be a "beginner friendly" unit, they gambled on the easy interface with not all the flexibility.

I would recommend using a 12F683 and you can do what you want for cheap. There are many free compilers for such, a programmer is cheap, click on Bill's(blueroomelectronics) sites link above for a starting point. Matter of fact ask him how much for a complete setup to get started. His support is stellar, just look around the forums, and we all are here to help as well ;)

-BaC
PS. good luck in your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back