Need Help understanding Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneshane1

Hi im trying to work out how exactly frequency works(mainly for tv remote), I've done some searching and from what i understand 1Hz for example is 1 pulse per second? and 2Hz is 2 pulses per second? and so on.

So for another example if a TV remote channel is 34Khz is that 34000 pulses per second?

and if that is all correct could i get a 555 or a PIC that is capable of those speeds and change the channel on my TV using a infra-red LED(following specs of course) applying 34000 pulses per second

Thats what im up to so far, i know there is probably other factors to consider, but i want to see if im on the right track before i continue learning.

Thanks i had a read, but i dont want to actually make one yet, i just want to know if im on the right track and im understanding things correctly.

and what does the duty cycle mean? is that the time between pulses eg: is a 50% duty cycle at 1Hz mean that the I/O are equal meaning "I" is on for half a second and "O" is off for half a second?

Duty cycle is the ratio of on-time in one period to the total period. It can also be thought of as the percentage of time where the thing is on.

So yeah your example is correct.

dknguyen said:
Duty cycle is the ratio of on-time in one period to the total period. It can also be thought of as the percentage of time where the thing is on.

So yeah your example is correct.

Thanks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…