Need Help w/ Digital Audio Switch Circuit (SPDIF/COAX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm623

Hello,

My knowledge level on electrical circuits could be classified as novice at best.

I have a receiver with 2 digital inputs, 1 optical 1 coaxial, and 3 devices to connect, 1 optical 2 coaxial. I need to build a circuit to switch between the 2 coaxial input devices. The motivation here is to avoid purchasing a new receiver.

I already have the following IR controlled switch:
**broken link removed**

This switch uses an IR signal (from my Harmony remote) to control a pair of SPST relays, in either pulse or toggle mode. It takes a 12vdc input from a regular old universal adapter. One relay is currently controlling a pair of 120mm fans which ventilate my entertainment cabinet when the xbox360 is running. The second relay will be used as a remote power switch for a home theater PC.

The xbox and the HTPC will be the 2 audio input devices that need to be switched (i'm purchasing a Optical/Coax converter for the xbox, the htpc already has a coax out).

My initial thought is to use the fan control relay to also control a separate DPDT relay to switch between the audio inputs. In this case the normally open terminals would connect to the xbox, and normally closed to the HTPC. Since the fans are only running when the xbox is on, the circuit would 'default' to the HTPC, but switch to the xbox when the fans came on.

This is the best solution I could come up with using my minimal knowledge. Since this is an audio signal, though digital, is the relay the right approach or is there a better and similarly inexpensive way to go?

Your suggestions and comments are very much appreciated. Thanks!

- jdm623

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…