Not open for further replies.

block156

Hello everyone

i need a little help with my next project

i got the next products

* iPod touch nano - power consumption : 5.2 Volt 1000ma

* Lepai Amplifier ( small home amplifier ) - power consumption : 12-18 Volt 2A

* Speakers

i need to connect them to ONE power source ( AC ) .

the goal of this project is to create a small boombox for my mom , she does not want to connect two wiring to the wall jack , but only one.

that`s the reason why i want to connect those two product to one source.

the question is , what circuit do i need to build ?

this circuit need to receive 110-220 Volt from the wall --> split the Volts according to the demands

110-220 AC From wall --> DC power circuit splits to --> 5.2 Volt for iPod
--> 12 Volt for Amplifier

what do i need to do ? build?

thanks!

p.s

attached is some small diagram of what i need ( it`s a bit small , but you can enlarge it )

thanks again everyone

Attachments

• Untitled - Copy.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 164
The simple method would be to build or buy an unregulated 12 volt power supply capable of about 3 amps or more. Then use that supply to drive the amp. Also use that supply to drive a small off the shelf ipod adapter as used with an ipod in an automotive situation. Some of what you are looking at is likely less expensive to buy off the shelf than try and build. How much of this did you plan to build/buy?

Ron

Hey ron

Actually i planned to buy the adapters and everything that is actually missing ( which is the power adapters )

so let me make sure that i understood what you are saying

this unregulated 12 volt power supply has got has two entrances right ?

i will tune it to about 2A , connect it direct to the AMP , and the iPod adapter connect to it ?

thanks!

Not quite but close. Automotive systems typically run at between 12.6 volts (engine off) and 13.6 volts or more (engine running) that would be an example of a typical 12 volt unregulated DC supply. Those little ipod adapters used in automotive are designed for a range of input voltage to provide a stable regulated output voltage for the ipod. The amp you have in mind has an input voltage range so an unregulated DC supply of 12 volts is fine. So you find a 12 volt DC power supply that runs off US Mains voltage of 120 VAC and use it to directly drive the amplifier, much like my wife's car sound system amp runs off the unregulated 12 volt automotive system. Then also off the output you place the ipod adapter. Much the way my wife plugs in her cell phone charger in her truck. You mentioned 1,000 mA which is 1 amp and 2 amps for the amp. So we get 1 + 2 + 3 amps maximum current. Your 12 volt supply needs to have the ability to supply 3 amps. I doubt it will ever run at maximum but that is what you want.

Most of what you want can be had at a local Radio Shack.

Ron

The OP doesn't understand that loads determine how much current flows in the load; all the power supply has to do is show up!

Think about this: Suppose your "power supply" was a 1600A starting battery out a car. You hook a 2A Amplifier to it. Does 1600A flow into the amplifer????

Thanks Mike, I should have covered that. The supply only need supply enough current for the load(s). If my load is 2 or 3 amps matters not if the supply side is capable of much, much more, the load will only draw what it needs as long as the supply side can provide it.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…