need help with 3digit bcd 7-segment decoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stress&Headache

my program outputs 8 bit binary and i would like it to be displayed in 3 digits of 7-segment
how can i achieve this?
please include the schematic for it? thanks alot

If I am not wrong, I think 8 bits is only 2 digits. Two 4511 decoders would give you a LED readout of the two digits.

k7elp60 said:
If I am not wrong, I think 8 bits is only 2 digits. Two 4511 decoders would give you a LED readout of the two digits.

8 bits is two hexadecimal digits (FF) but three decimal ones (255), as usual a PIC would give an easy solution (but I've been trying not to mention it!).

I suspect doing it with logic chips would be fairly involved, you've first got to convert from binary (or hex) to decimal, then display it as well.

it's 3 digits yes it is
btw what's an PIC
converting 8 bits binary to decimal i could use a decoder?
btw will this work : connecting the output of the 8 bits to a 4 bit adder and from the 4 bit adder to a 7-segment decoder then to the 7-segments

Stress&Headache said:
it's 3 digits yes it is
btw what's an PIC

It's a popular micro-controller made my MicroChip, you could program it to do what you need.

converting 8 bits binary to decimal i could use a decoder?
btw will this work : connecting the output of the 8 bits to a 4 bit adder and from the 4 bit adder to a 7-segment decoder then to the 7-segments

Sorry, I've no idea, I stopped playing with logic chips many years ago.

I notice your original post says "my program outputs 8 bit binary", if this is a software program you can modify it to output whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…