Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with a 555 one shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iawia

I am triggering a 555 timer with some logic. i have the output feeding an led so i can see how long the duration of the output is. however, no matter how i seem to tweak the resistor or capacitor, the output led always remains 'on' while the logic is high.

long story short, i want the one shot to be triggered and go off before the logic changes again.

is there a way to do that with the one shot? another method would be fine too.

A schematic of your circuit would be most helpful. I would assume you are applying a negative trigger to pin 2 and have the LED from pin 3 ground, with a resistor in series with the LED.

It would help if you posted a schematic. You may not have the 555 circuit configured correctly.
One solution (dependent on the configuration) is to apply the logic output via a capacitor to the trigger input of the 555.

Iawia,
I don't know if understood clearly your problem, but sounds like maybe this helps you, which is a problem I had, and it was solved there. (well I have to test it tomorrow)

Rodstar, this is exactly what i need, with the exception that i don't need a pulse on negative edges. i will post a schematic asap.

Schematic

Here is my schematic. sorry about the rough drawn. i figured it would be faster. I am having the output of the j/k flip flop to flip power off to most components when the counter reaches 5. but the counter continues counting and nothing turns off.

i have hooked up an alarm to trigger the 'J' value to high (min alarm time is 60s) when the alarm goes off, thus i figured that when the k value is triggered by the counter turning '5', it would toggle the Q state, the components (except for the timer and the jk), then the alarm would run out, and it would be able to start all over again on the next alarm signal.

i noticed that the jk doesn't change until it is clocked, so i figured it best to hook up another timer whose clock width is much smaller to catch the output '5'.

Help!

Attachments

• schematic_0002.jpg
    schematic_0002.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Iawia,
In the electronic stuff I can't help what you are asking, but I can tell you, -just in case you didn't figure it already- that a cheap 8-bit microcontroller and a few lines of code you can easily reach your task (and lots more complexity you can do). Anyways I know your task can be done in the old multi-chip style as you expose.

In my case I needed external support due to the heavy realtime multitasking in my 32-bit microcontroller (UART and SPI TX/RX communications, sensors capturing, heavy math algorythms, motors monitoring and controlling all that in "realtime" processing).

I hope you the get help you need soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back