Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with a voltage clamping circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankulake

I need a circuit to prevent voltages above 24VDC from getting to a component. I am supplying it with 12VDC and simply want to make sure that in the event of a surge or blown fuse, the voltage does not exceed 24VDC.

I did some online searching, and found a circuit on this site that might fit my needs, but it has about 15 components in the circuit. Can this circuit be quite simple? I thought the appropriate Zener in parallel with the load would be sufficient, but it looks like I am wrong.

The 12VDC is coming from an AC-DC power supply, and the load is not supposed to draw any more than ~ 3A.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Or use an MOV. What current/power/energy levels are you working at?

Thanks for the replies.

For that crowbar circuit, I take it the load would be to the right and in parallel with the SCR, yes? How would I determine what size resistor and capacitor to use?

The power levels are between 11 watts and 17 watts, with currents for the load ranging between 0.5 amps and 1.5 amps.

I have a 12VDC supply powering the unit, but had a couple of times where the voltage likely spiked (I wasn't monitoring it) due to a blown fuse, and when that fuse blew, it cut off the power to the 12VDC supply.

Thanks for the replies.

For that crowbar circuit, I take it the load would be to the right and in parallel with the SCR, yes? How would I determine what size resistor and capacitor to use?

The power levels are between 11 watts and 17 watts, with currents for the load ranging between 0.5 amps and 1.5 amps.

I have a 12VDC supply powering the unit, but had a couple of times where the voltage likely spiked (I wasn't monitoring it) due to a blown fuse, and when that fuse blew, it cut off the power to the 12VDC supply.

To exceed the I-squared-T rating of a fuse, that spike must have had quite a bit of joules in it.

If your supply can sink current, fastening the cathode of a diode to the + terminal will provide you with a hard clamp at ~13v at the anode.
If your supply has current to spare and won't sink current, shunt it with a resistor so it will sink current and then use the diode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back