Need help with Anti-Theft system for a car hood ornament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurniad001

Hello,
I'd like to build a deterrent for my car's hood ornament. It would activate the horn for 5 seconds when the hood ornament is touched. i have looked into capacitance switches and have found a suitable build.

https://electronics-diy.com/electronic_schematic.php?id=592

this activates for 101 seconds when it is touched.

Here are my questions (apologies if the questions are 'newbish')

1. Will it work? this circuit is designed to work in toys, will it work on car batteries and car horns?

2. What parts do i need to swap C1 and R1 for, to shave the time down to 5 seconds?

Thank you.

hi,
The car hood ornament would have to be insulated from the car chassis.

I would say even if you had the required insulation the 555 would be triggered by any random electrical 'noise', IMO its not suitable.

What is the ornament type, material and how is it attached to the car.???

I was thinking about a rubber barrier between the hood ornament and the car.
its chrome, the Mercedes ones that can be plucked off. i think it has a spring system.
similar ornament:
**broken link removed**

Electrical noise.. what kind of switch do you think would be suitable? maybe proximity?

Thanks,

In Cleveland, the older Jaguar ornament was quite popular in the hood. The only solution that worked was to have a removable one.

The problem with a 5-second horn is that such horns are going off constantly in the city and draw little attention. Their effectiveness in preventing vandalism and burglaries is probably minimal. One of the most common uses I have seen is for location one's own car in a parking lot. Also, consider that in fact, the horn may precipitate more damage in retaliation.

Consider a thief who wants a hood ornament and is using a prybar to get it. Once they get it, they will be gone and only the hood will be damaged. Now, blow the horn and see what else on the car gets damaged as the thief flees.

I am definitely not for lying done and letting criminals take over. But whatever measures are taken need to be effective at preventing damage to the car. The cost of a hood ornament is nothing compared to the cost of a hood, windshield, or roof. Thus, spring mounted, easily removed, and serialized ornaments (i.e., VIN numbers on them) might be the best deterrent.

Maybe a quarter-turn ornament or one held on by a solenoid should be considered. The solenoid approach could work like the electronic latch on a door etc. The driver would use his electronic key fob to release the ornament so it could be put in a safe place or taken with him.

John

hi kurn,
A little over the top, but the Rolls Royce cars that use the 'Flying Lady' [Spirit of Ecstasy] mascot, have a retractable module and capping cover.
Its controlled as In or Out by the car's ignition key.

I had my Nissan badge stolen from off my car boot a few years ago, losing the badge was a pain but worse were all the gouges in the bodywork caused by them levering it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBpaLTC0cvg

Last edited:
Many years ago, I bought a brand new Volkswagen.
Around that time there was a craze amongst brain dead teenagers for stealing VW badges from cars, I believe that this was inspired by some pop group (The Beastie Boys ?) who were seen adorned with such badges.

A couple of weeks after I had bought the car, a strange package arrived in the post from Volkswagen, it was a set of badges for a VW Golf.
They were sending them out to buyers of new cars, just in case.

The craze and the pop group faded into obscurity quite quickly, I never did have any of my badges stolen, and I still have the spare set somewhere. (The car was replaced and sold on years ago).

As the man said in the film "We don't need no stiinking badges!"

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…