Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help With Coil Gun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samantha21

I am making a Coil gun for a final project in my electronics class. i have limited time so instead of building a charging circuit from scratch i am going to steal one out of a disposable camera. anyone done this before? i am having problems with the discharging, a camera flash goes so fast i think the capacitors will have enough time to move a nail, let alone shoot it. so wont i have to build in a resistive circuit to slow down the discharge time or is this a non issue? btw i would love to see a schismatic of one that was build effectively.

:p
Dont you know the catholic rules? Never read it, never think about it, just ask someone else who asked someone else who asked someone else who knows someone that read about it and was rummered to have thought about it! :eek:
:p
:D :D :D

I suspect you are going to be disappointed in the final grade this project will earn you. ;) A camera flash circuit will just not have the energy required to move much of any practical mass. Maybe shoot a sewing needle a fraction of an inch.

Lefty

Aww, I shot a nail clear across two rooms with one of those when I was a kid.

You want to avoid the resistor if you can. It increases RC, but decreases L/R, and generally just eats power. Tune the coil so you form a LC tank that corresponds to the impulse. Impulse is the integral of the coil's magnetic force with respect to acceleration time. Acceleration time is based on the displacement of the initial position of the projectile from coil center.

Perhaps use the camera flash charger to charge up a bigger capacitor or a set of capacitors. I used a camara charger to run a 3600 uF 450 volt up to around 375 volts.
The flash charger circuit seemed to be fine doing it but I could have taken a short nap durring the charge up cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back