need help with counter style circuit..

Status
Not open for further replies.

richyyo

i need to make a circuit that has 10 LEDs in it and when you press a button the first one come on. then you press the button again and the next one comes on.... like that
(my last circuit dint work out that well with a 7seg display..)
thx

It can be done using CD4017 and monostable multi-vibrator (Could be constructed using 555 Timer). Use the switch to trigger monostable and connect output of monostable to clock input of CD4017. Connect LEDs at the output of CD4017.

Use google to find the datasheets of CD4017 and NE-555.

Post your last circuit if you need help with it.

dipal_z said:
It can be done using CD4017 and monostable multi-vibrator (Could be constructed using 555 Timer).

May I ask how it can be done with one 4017 when all "Ten" LEDs need to be OFF?

Of course it can be done, but it will need a lot of "micky mouse" logic for it to work. Or, one have to use two 4017s along with logic gates.

eblc1388 said:
May I ask how it can be done with one 4017 when all "Ten" LEDs need to be OFF?

That's a good catch, thanks for pointing out, Need to read between the lines before posting

Hi dipal_z,

Your proposal works perfectly for nine LEDs. So maybe the OP would consider using 9 LEDs instead to simply the design?

Also this would be a perfect example of how a PIC can beats individual chips solution hands down on both cost and circuit simplicity aspects.

If we consider the LEDs and push button extra, one need just a PIC, a supply bypass capacitor and then nothing more to implement the circuit. Not even a crystal is needed.

eblc1388 said:
Also this would be a perfect example of how a PIC can beats individual chips solution hands down on both cost and circuit simplicity aspects.

I completely agree with you on this, also if OP wants to change the pattern/direction in future he can do it just by changing the code without touching the hardware.

thx for the help but im not familiar with these chips and what the circuit would look like.. and plus i just have to make them on crocodile tecnology and not achually make the real thing..
thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…