Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with MPLAB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broz

OK, I'm feeling pretty stupid right about now. I'm embarrased to even ask this question, but here's the situation. I'm playing around with my PicKit2 and 16f690 that came with it. I can modify the existing tutorials and program my own sequence of blinking LED's. The problem I'm having, is now I want to start from scratch and create my own program outside of the tutorials. However, I can't figure out how to start a new project. I followed the tutorials for MPLAB using the project wizard, however, the tutorial doesn't match exactly what I see when I use the wizard. So I've been scouring the web trying to figure out how to link the various files and I seem to be getting nowhere. It's kind of embarassing that the biggest hurdle for me to create my own program right now is starting a new project in MPLAB. All of the templates loaded in MPLAB are not for the 16f690. How do I create a project from scratch?

Any advice? Is there someone I can call for help to walk me through the process? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

I've just posted a simple guide for MPLAB 8.0 and my Junebug (PICkit2) and Tutor kit.
**broken link removed**
Give it a read and tell me what you think.

I'll read it over, thank you.

The version of MPLAB that came with my kit was 7.60. Is there much difference? I've read in my journeys on the web that version 8.0 has many bugs. Is that true? Should I update or no?

Hi Broz,

No expert but will try and help - can you let us know which version of mplab your are using.

To create a new project should be straight forwards.
First ' project - close ' to end any existing work.
The 'project - project wizard' and this should take you though the simple steps.
Step one - should ask for the chip you want to use.
Step two - should come up with mpasm toolsuite by default - just next on this.
Step three - browse and select the microchip folder, creating a 'work' folder if wanted and give a project name eg Broz1
Step our allows you to bring files in but for now leave blank and 'next'
That completes the wizard.

You now need to create you assembler file - so ' project - add new file to project' again do not add in an xisting file, just give it a filename.asm and 'save' it.
This now opens your blank space for your coding, with you can create or cu and copy from other files, build and program it.

If tha does no work please post which o the above step do not seem to work for you.

hth

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back