Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help with the name of a certain product for a project of mine. URGENT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbt9000

ok im not sure on where to start to find one of these, ill give a description on what im looking for.

Ok, what it is, is a bleeper thing, for example, i put one part of it down somewhere and ill have a controller in my hand and as i get closer to the idle object, it bleeps faster and faster till i reach it and the beeps get slower if i get further away till no bleeps happen,

it needs to be relitivly small, around 1-2 cm in diametre, and lightweight,

Thankyou
Michael.

Heh; sounds like the tracking device from No Country for Old Men. You don't have those kinds of plans, do you?

There are various locator transmitter devices that work similarly to your vague description. Most are designed for emergency use such as finding downed aircraft, avalanche victims or lost persons. If you research those topics, you'll find that the technology is not inexpensive when made well. Perhaps you could adapt an existing signal strength meter.

What's the difference between "bleeping" and "beeping"?

I'm relatively "new" to English and don't understand the difference.

Boncuk

Last edited:
theres no difference really Boncuk,

and im needing it to be around 1cm x 1cm if possible, a reciever and a transmitter i think, because im inventing something and these are the main components that i need, so ive looked around and there too big, it only needs to make a noise like a metal detector does when it gets closer to a metal,

i need one to attach to a device if it gets lost, and one on a switch on my person so if i lose the item all i do is press a button and it beeps faster when i get closer to it.

What's the difference between "bleeping" and "beeping"?

I'm relatively "new" to English and don't understand the difference.

Boncuk

hi Hans,
I have always understood that a bleep is a slighter longer sounding beep,,, bit like dash, dot in Morse.

ive looked around and i think its called a transmitter tag and a receiver? around 1cm in diametre i need.

Anything that small and including an RF Tx and/or Rx, a sounder and a power supply is going to need very small surface-mount components and extremely narrow interconnecting tracks on a pcb. Are you up to the task of making the pcb and assembling/soldering the components?

hi Hans,
I have always understood that a bleep is a slighter longer sounding beep,,, bit like dash, dot in Morse.

I wonder if it is one of the British/American things. You know, our TV is kept "appropriate for family viewing" by the FCC. I have always used "bleep" as a verb consistent with this definition:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleep_censor The sound associated with he censorship, if present, was also called a bleep. But, something could be and often was bleeped without any sound.

I use "beep" as a noun for an oftentimes annoying, single tone signal -- like the old pagers. A short blast from an automobile's horn is also a beep. Cartoons use "beep,beep, beep..." to represent traffic.

(Wikipedia defines bleep (noun) essentially the same as a beep.)

John

Both 'beep' and 'bleep' are defined as "a short high-pitched sound" in the Oxford English Dictionary.....and you don't get anything more authoritative than that.

Does the O.E.D. give the verb form? As a verb, bleep is clearly established in the USA. Unfortunately, I cannot access O.E.D. free anymore.

John

OED:-

beep v. (1) produce a beep, (2) (chiefly N American) summon with a device that beeps.

bleep v. (1) (of an electronic device) make a bleep, (2) (in broadcasiing) censor a word or phrase by substituting a bleep.

Thanks for the OED definitions.

Interesting, those definitions are close, but not entirely current for 2011 in the USA. In my experience, most broadcasts do not make a beep/bleep when censoring, unless they want to draw attention to what was censored. In most cases, the sound is simply deleted and the speaker's lips are blurred. So, as nouns, they can mean the same, but they have distinctly different meanings as verbs -- at least in North America.

Last edited:
As a non-native I always understood that bleep was a single beep while beep was a short sound that repeated for some time. Say that bleep seemed associated somehow to the idea of a transient / occasional sound.

I recall reading "bleep" (yes, between ") in an explanation about (transient / occasional) interferences being seen on the screen of a scope. Author was talking about digital filters used for ECG signals.

Flash and blink?

I recall reading "bleep" (yes, between ") in an explanation about (transient / occasional) interferences being seen on the screen of a scope.
I'd call that a blip ;-)

I recall reading "bleep" (yes, between ") in an explanation about (transient / occasional) interferences being seen on the screen of a scope.
I'd call that a blip ;-)

Yes, agreed. (Like that sound effect invariably used in movies about WWII submarines corresponding to radar-scope blips.) Definitely not a "bleep", and definitely not a "pip" (?!?!?). Unless that's some kind of Brit-ism ...

And yes, "bleep" is usually used here (U.S.) when referring to the sound censors use to remove all those words they think will harm the delicate morals of the public. Contrary to what someone said up there, the "bleep" sound is quite often used here, instead of just discreetly snipping out the words or silencing them.

Heh; I like Craig Ferguson's perverted version of "bleeping", where he uses his own rude vocal expression, plus a funny animated graphic on top of the offending speaker's mouth to blot out "bad words". Quite entertaining.

Last edited:
A transient seen on an oscilloscope is a "glitch"
A RADAR echo seen on a PPI scope is a "blip"
No idea what a "pip" is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back