Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with TTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittydog42

I am trying to develop an interface with an industrial controller via TTL. The manufacturer makes an RS485 or 232 interface that plugs into a header on the main board, so they will not give up any engineering information, instead instructing me to buy their board. This seems unnecessary since I need TTL in the end.

Their board uses an isolated RS485 transceiver. The inputs to the board are signals around 3.3 to 3.8 volts that go through transistors before going to the RS485 interface as TTL level signals. The original signals may not be TTL at all. There may be 4 signals in total going to the transistors, of which there is around six. Does anybody have any ideas as to what these transistors are doing or what my signal may be? It shouldn't be anything too exotic.

RS485 and RS232 are communication protocols. If the data from the controller are sent any distance, then TTL won't substitute.

Without some information on the controller, it's about impossible to guess what the signal to and from it might be. We don't even know what's being controlled.

The RS485 converter that the manufacturer sells has 4 signal wires going into 3 NPN and 2 PNP DTR's, then going into the RO, RE, DE, and DI pins of an isolated RS485 transceiver (LTC1535ISW). That is working as it is supposed to. When I remove the LTC1535ISW from the board, and wire the RO, RE, DE, and DI signals to a standard MAX485 type IC (ST485BN, in this case), I can't get it to work. I can't figure out where the discrepancy is between the
ST485BN and the LTC1535ISW that keeps the former from working properly, when everything else is the same. The only thing missing is the isolation circuit to the RS485 side. My ultimate goal is the connect the RO and DI signals directly to another device that uses TTL once I can figure out what is going on. I am reverse engineering.

j.p.bill said:
RS485 and RS232 are communication protocols.
RS485 and RS232 are NOT communication protocols.

kittydog42: Have you carefully accounted for signal polarity? Some of those devices invert.

RS485 and RS232 are just physical layer specifications for whatever communication protocol you put on top.

mneary said:
kittydog42: Have you carefully accounted for signal polarity? Some of those devices invert.

No, I was not aware of that. How would I invert them back? I may need to try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back