Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy004

Can anyone help me out I'm building a Light dimmer from this website https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/dimmer.htm
I have a Potentiometer (R1) with 3 contacts and 2 for the switch and I dont know how to hook it up to my circuit I'm not sure which one of the 3 is which one. Also for (TR1) I'm not sure which one is the gate. Can anyone please let me know or does anyone know of an easyer circuit for a light dimmer for 120V floor lamp.

Typically for potentiometers, the pin in the middle is used for the variable resistance.

Also, maybe try looking for the datasheet for the Triac, that will tell you the pinout for it.

So how would I hook up the varible Pot. and I don't have a data sheet for this triac it is exactly the one in the diagram.

you would connect an end pin to the middle pin and then connect those 2 pins to the junction of R2 and C2. then connect the other end pin to lamp (L1)

I cant really help with the Triac

Triac electrodes: gate, MT1,MT2. Most of case the load connected to MT2.
The type is not critical, also usable TIC226, BT136

Attachments

• dimmer_196.gif
    dimmer_196.gif
    2 KB · Views: 386
If you connect a neon bulb to the dimmer circuit it will just blow-up since it doesn't have a current limiting resistor. The normal operating current of a neon bulb is so low with a proper current limiting resistor that there won't be enough current for the Triac to function, then the neon bulb won't light.

That dimmer is designed to dim an incandescent (hot wire) light bulb. It can also control an electric heater and some types of electric motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back