need helping in making a sliding gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanoute696

Hi, Im new to the forum and electronics etc and am looking to make a sliding gate.
I need advice on the type of motor to use to move the gate over and back - it will be a light timber gate. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi, Im new to the forum and electronics etc and am looking to make a sliding gate.
I need advice on the type of motor to use to move the gate over and back - it will be a light timber gate. Thanks in advance for any help.

Saw your previous post (and replies). While I can appreciate what you're proposing, my experience with a number of automated gate situations requires me to urge you to buy a commercial system. Save yourself a ton (A TON) of effort, expense and frrrrrustration.

Since you quoted pounds in your cost estimation, here's a starting point for your quest:

The item:

View attachment 67388

And the [http://www.remotecontrolgates.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d1_Electric_Gates_Above_Ground.html"]web site page[/URL] with this item on it.

kanoute696, As I see it, your mechanics of swinging or sliding the gate is your biggest hurdle for doing it your self, but you can probably do it. A suggestion for a swinging gate is to mount a motorcycle chain to the gate about 3' or 1 meter out from the hinge and an arm at 90 and 270 degrees the is equal distance from the pivot point and drive it with a gear motor or other geared down gear box. The same chain drive is common for sliding gates, they just need a solid footing and guide track to ride on, such as piece of angle iron with the 90 angle up and wheels on the gate that ride on the angle.
This could probably done with a fan belt also, by then you may have problems with traction of the fan belt with drive unit, you could also go with a cogged belt.
If you have the talent and the drive, you can do what ever you can think of, so don't let people tell you that you can't do it, just because they can't do it.
Kinarfi
After thought, use a garage door opener, then you will have remote controls to open and close the gate and they have adjustments. just not sure if they have a center stop position.

Last edited:
Kinarf I think the o/p wants a sliding rather than a swinging gate.
We had a slider where I used to work, it wasnt that reliable, probably because the motor and electrics were at ground level and got wet, put your gear half way up the gate.
The one we had did have a chain, it was welded all the way along the bottom of the gate, and a geared motor with sprocket was spring loaded against it with a decent spring, a fairly simple and effective system and it withstood being stalled as the sprocket jumped the cahin agaisnt the spring.
If you cant weld you might be able to bolt the chain at either end and use the same bolts to pull the chain tight.
Kinarf's system would work better if you replaced one of the red guide rolls with the motor, this simplifies it a little and the chain/belt would have a better purchase on the motor sprocket/pulley being more wrapped around it.

Last edited:
I would consider using a 12 volt motor from a car winch. That way when the power fails.....

We had sliders where I used to work also, both hanging and rolling, and I spent many hours doing maintenance on them, much more complicated than anyone would want for home use. The OP started with a request for help for a swinging gate and was advised to go sliding, so he started another thread, this one, so I guess that's the one I was answering. As for sliding/rolling, weather and terrain, rocks or gravel or paved, need to be taken into account, Myself, I would go with a swinging gate and have a movable stops opposite the pivot post that would hold the gate when closed.
I also think the 12 v winch motor is a good idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…