Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need large wirepad for Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

zevon8

Hi, OK, I'm being way too lazy here, but anyways.

I need a wirepad for 14AWG wire to use in Eagle. I am doing a board and the biggest I can find is a 1.8mm pad that woud take about a 16AWG stranded cire...maybe.

I could do up a new pad, but my attempts were not successful.

Anybody have a large pad they could share?

( the library on the CADSOFT site doesn't have a big one either

Thanks!

Have you looked for mounting pad in Holes? There are pads with centers at least as large as 1/8 inch and you can make a wire connection to them. You just have to name the pad with the proper net. John

Good idea, thanks. I messed around with the editor a bit more and think I found what I did wrong. When doing a wire pad , you need to remove the "wildcard" from the name, or all of the pads you place will get associated and therefore electrically connected by autoroute.

What a mess! Took me a while to work this out, but I think I ahve it now.

I am going to use som holes for pads also, thanks for this tip!

The same holds for the hole-pad. If you want it connected to GND, you have to name it or wire it to the net you want; otherwise, there will be a moat around it in the ground pour. John

Last edited:
Wire pads

Hi zevon8,

try this.

The pads will have names but no values. Names are "SP" followed by a number. You can rename at any time, e.g. VDD. (double names not allowed)
The pad sizes are mm and fractions thereof.

Using them in a schematic they will automatically have packages in the board, clearly marked.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Thanks Boncuk! Those are very cool. Saved them into my library. I found another way to get where I was going.

I opened a pad that was the outer size I wanted, then jusy edited the drill size. Hope this work too.

I realize I am using a great program for free, but some basic manual / documentation help would be outstanding.

zevon8 said:
Thanks Boncuk! Those are very cool. Saved them into my library. I found another way to get where I was going.

I opened a pad that was the outer size I wanted, then jusy edited the drill size. Hope this work too.

I realize I am using a great program for free, but some basic manual / documentation help would be outstanding.

You can edit any part in a library. Just remember that the original part will be lost unless you re-edit it. Say, you edited a pad with a diameter of 1.6002mm and a drill size of 0.8mm (normally used for IC-pins) it still has the describtive name. A better way is to copy and paste it to save it with a new name after editing.

Editing though is restricted to pad shape and size as well as drill diameter. You can't edit pin numbers or add/delete any pin. Eagle will come up with an error message telling "package in use". Copying and pasting you can add or delete pads as you like and rename the pads too.

In a short time I will post hints for Eagle anyway. They will be sticky notes for everybody's use. I'm just editing the text for them.

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back