Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need latching PWM demux

Status
Not open for further replies.

artec_19

I want to split 2 independent PWM signals into 4 independent PWM signals.

The ideal IC would have 2 PWM inputs, 1 selector bit, 4 PWM outputs (2 ports of 2 PWM outputs), and a latch that maintains the previously commanded output whenever a pair of outputs (port) is not selected.

Does such an IC exist? I know I could do it with a PIC or something similar, but I would rather not if something already exists.

I found this: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/12/tlc5940.pdf
but that uses a single serial input, and that will not be fast enough for my application.

Also: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/12/tlc5904.pdf
but I believe this takes an 8-bit digital in, and I do not have enough free GPIOs to do that.

Any suggestions?

It is for PID control of 4 DC motors. I have 2 hardware pwm outputs, and limited digital GPIOs. The pwm lines go to motor drivers. Currently the system has 2 DC motors, with a PID loop (and all data collecting) closed at 2kHz (for both motors). The idea was to split the pwm lines to portA and portB, and update a particular port every other loop: thus reducing the control rate to 1kHz (which is still acceptable).

I am using a gumstix basix to run this, and i2c seems to take about 0.25ms: which is way too long.

5V or 3.3V does not matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back