Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need microcontroller for design

Status
Not open for further replies.

robz

I am working on a project, and made a design for a generator that has been build up with some external memory etc.

the design needs a microcontroller with the follow features:
- external adress data bus (programmable) with multiple chip enables lines
- usart (rs232 connection)
- several programmable i/o ports
- flash memory (normal range amount)
- maybe it's handy to have some pwm outputs...

a msp430 doens't have a externet adress data bus with chip enable lines.
maybe i was thinking about a atmel but i'm not sure.

please help me out... :)

Have a look at Freescale's MCUs. Very nice chips to program. Architecturally they're very similar to the old 6809/68000 Motorola microprocessors.

A BDM Pod is a must for easy programming and on-chip debugging.

Look at the 912 or 9S12 series. The HC11 is quite obsolete, and 812 pretty much as well.

Technological Arts in Toronto has a good line of dev boards.

EVBplus.com has a good line of dev boards too. In particular, the Dragon12-Plus is very nice.

I can only find PIC microcontroller with 1 chip select (chip enable) line
because I communicate with multiple chips, i need more of them..

by PIC microcontrollers the module is called : parallel slave port

Any output pin can act as a CS line. Maybe if you explain what you are trying to do then people will be better able to advise.

Mike.

thank you for the information.

what the purpose is: i'll read-in data from the rs232 (usart), put it in external flash memory, after that, i can select with a user interface which part of the programmed flash memory must be put on the data bus, set it into a RAM and do some tests with it.

i'll found the pic18f87j11 microcontroller, it got a external memory bus and the features named above, i'll think i'am going to use that one for my design.

someone got some experience with this type of microcontroller ? every information is welcome ofcourse :)

The PIC18F87J11 is only available in a TQFP package, not the easiest thing to solder and is also a 3.3V device. The old 17C PICs had external RAM support in microcomputer mode. Are you trying to connect it to another computers bus? If so is it a 3.3V bus?

Soldering the TQFP is no problem. Page 103 of the datasheet shows a 16-BIT BYTE SELECT MODE EXAMPLE, so also the 3.3V device is no problem.

what do you mean with another computers bus? the device will be coupled to a FLASH memory and SRAM.. and to a rs232 with a max3232 level converter (so that you can power the device with 3.3V).

robz said:
thank you for the information.

what the purpose is: i'll read-in data from the rs232 (usart), put it in external flash memory, after that, i can select with a user interface which part of the programmed flash memory must be put on the data bus, set it into a RAM and do some tests with it.

i'll found the pic18f87j11 microcontroller, it got a external memory bus and the features named above, i'll think i'am going to use that one for my design.

someone got some experience with this type of microcontroller ? every information is welcome ofcourse :)

Your still not stating what your intended use is. You could get a 28 pin pic, a X meg serial EEPROM and a keypad and implement what you described above.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back