Need PCB Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Anyone know a PCB service that can do 2 mil trace width?

Or 3 mil

Last edited:
You drop via's between the pads when routing a BGA. It can be done two layer, but it's really supposed to be a minimum of 4 layer for BGA, so Free Eagle is out, unless you try to do it two layer. I've seen some guides. I'll try to find.

That IC im using is the LPC1102 5mmx5mm very small. The pads are so tiny cant even make a via that small in eagle

Attachments

• LPC1102.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Hi Jason,

The LPC1102 is tiny, I doubt you'll be able to make/design a breakout board for it. Its area is only 5mm squared just over 2mm x 2mm, do NXP sell development adaptors for them ?

**broken link removed**

It looks like an impressive chip, but maybe too difficult to use in the DIY / hobby environment.

Regards,
Leftfield95.

Jason,

It might be a good idea to start a new thread with a title something like "PCB help needed". Bonkuk seems to be very good on PCBs and could probably do this in minutes and supply the gerber files for you.

Edit, if it's even possible in Eagle. That is one extremely tiny chip.

Mike.

Last edited:
Leftfield95 thanks, its not that its too hard to use just to expensive to make a PCB for

Mike, ill give up on this, the eagle part was easy to make but im not spending $100 on a breakout

LPC1102 is USELESS for hobbyist , NXP Sent me it as a sample. Just 1, At least it wasnt a waste of money. Probably cost them under $1 to make heh

Hi Jason,

just one glance on your design tells me that you won't need any vias for the BGA device. If you use a DIP-16 socket you can make all the necessary connection off the device by connecting DIP pins.

I'll make a package for the LPC1102 and be back with a suggestion tomorrow.

Regards

Boncuk

I already made a eagle file for it. The issue is the balls (heh balls) are 0.5mm apart and are .32mm Round so there is hardly any space to place a trace between them. about .18mm (0.007" (7mil)) space in between meaning the trace has to be at least half that about 3.5MIL in order to fit it between the balls. The Service cost to much to make a PCB for that. Unless im wrong. If you use eagle i can send you my lib if you want

Hi Jason,

first off, the data sheet of the LPC1102 indicates SMD pads at 0.35mm (not 0.32mm).

If the pads are sized down to 0.3mm there is still enough area for safe soldering.

I made a total of three designs and you might pick the one which suits best.

I'd prefer solution three with vias directly on the top pads B2, B3, C2 and C3. Your board manufacturer should be able to drill holes of 0.2mm.

The solder pads (vias) look somewhat strange to me. The package outline shows their diameter matching the SMD pad diameter.

I guess getting the package displayed correctly is a matter of "restring". I do not intend to dig into that since I'm normally using Eagle version 3.55 which displays things in real size.

Please check and if you want my library please give me a note.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• atomsoft1.gif
    46 KB · Views: 210
  • atomsoft2.gif
    47.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Can you zip them up and post or send me it via email ?

Oh and thanks a ton for taking the time to help me out

Last edited:
These are the rules:

6 mil trace width
6 mil spacing
15 mil clearances from traces to the edge of the board
13 mil minimum drill size.
7 mil minimum annular ring

Hi Jason,

the required drill size will be a problem. Your PCB manufacturer has a good opportunity to improve production using laser for drilling.

I managed to get the SMD pads circle shaped and adapt the vias accordingly.

These are the paramters used for pads and vias:

SMD pad: dia 13mils, roundness 100%
Vias: dia 13mils, shape round, drill size 9mils (uncheck Thermal, Stop and First)

The drill size however is 8mils. Trace width for all traces is 10mils.

Connections between pins on the adapter are omitted.

If you get the adapter board made make sure to fill the vias with solder tin up to the top.

BGA components are delivered with tiny solder balls on the pads. If the solder is soaked by the drill hole of the via there will be a poor connection of the solder pads between IC and PCB.

Please PM me your email address.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• Jason-01.gif
    48.8 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…