Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Resistor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreythedon

Hey intelligent people!!

I need help finding wire that will glow red hot when supplied by 12V. Not only do I need help find which rating wire I need but I also need help finding a source for this wire. These hobby shops don't supply a lot of specialty material as the such.

Thanks so much in advance!! :shock:

It's called nichrome wire. The length required to get to its optimum temp at 12v without burning up depends on the width of the wire.

Hi
Resistance wire comes in a wide range of mixs, Iconel.Copel ect.ect. These are mixes of iron nickel copper , the wire is labled by mix and ohms per foot for what ever ga. This lets you use ohms law to determine the heat you want to produce, how many amps you want to use and what voltages you use. If your wire is glowing red and is not a heavy gauge then the manufacture recommends that you use wire supports, if it red it's close to melting or drooping. The spec sheet will give you information on heat temp of the type of wire you use....it's sort of a backward thing.. determine what temp you need then work backwards to find a wire size that will meet volt amp and turning red or not.... the material is not made by a lot of companys for sale in a raw package... bar,rod, spool and sheet. The price is by the pound some surpluse dealers will have some to sell but the price it by the foot ..the ones that i have seen.....which will be more than the pound price.
If you need a small amount thats ok but they will not have a large selection to work with

joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back