Need simple circuit to drive an electric lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

csterg

Hello all,
i am new to this forum and amazed at the expertise and the help you give to novice people (like me).

I have a problem and i would like to ask for a solution since i have not found exactly what i want. Let me describe the problem since (as i read) it's the easiest way to get a solution.

I have a swing gate operator that works on 24V. There is an electric lock attached at the gate that operates on 12V. When the door is about to open, the control panel provides a 24V output that is used to drive a flashing light (for warning reasons). What i need is a small circuit which i could use to pass 12V momentarily to the electric lock in order to open BEFORE the actuators start to move.

I cannot use the 24V output that i get from the control panel as a signal (too low mA) to drive the lock, but i can take the current directly from the batteries (either 12V or 24V since there are 2 batteries).

So, i need a circuit that:
1. When 24V is applied to it (or 12v through a relay), it drives a relay that supplies the 12V to the electric lock
2. The 12V should only be applied for a small period of time (1-4 seconds) and then stop (there is no need to power the lock during the whole time that the door is opening, just 1 second as the first leaf of the door starts to open).
3. The power to the circuit on during the whole open duration (about 20 seconds).

Just to be sure that i am clear, i repeat here:
Once the circuit is powered, it should open a relay for 1-4 seconds and then close the relay, although the circuit is still powered. The circuit resets when the power is cut off.

TIA,
Costas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…