Need suggestions for reading/writing data serially with a clock line

Status
Not open for further replies.

toodles

My specific project is to use a microcontroller to emulate a controller on multiple game consoles. A number of them use serial communication with a clock line; NES, SNES, 3DO, Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 are the easiest examples. The frequency of the clock signal varies greatly, but the fastest seems to be the PS2 at 500KHz.

I am looking at using a 18LF4550 as my target microcontroller, but can be swayed to look at others if there is a strong reason to.

My main concern is whether or not there is technology built into the PIC to make this kind of serial communication easier/faster. I could certainly program it to wait for the needed rise or fall on the clock line, and shift each bit I need individually, but this feels very inelegant. Are there any functions for shifting data in time with an external clock signal that I can look into?

The PIC has various hardware interfaces built-in, including a fully functional USART and SPI, which may do what you want?.

The 4550 has USB, MSSP and EUSART. Check the data sheet. I would imagine that the Master Synchronous Serial Port would be the most useful.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…