Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to be 21 to buy nail clippers?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
My daughter went to the Pound Shop to buy some nail clippers - Compound Lever Style (according to Wikipedia) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_clipper

To be asked for ID?, they wouldn't sell them her as she's only 20 years and 51 weeks old, and you have to be 21?.

They would sell her scissors, knifes - but not nail clippers!.

What's going on? - why should there be any restriction, you don't hear of many vicious attacks with nail clippers :mad:

Some little tin god gave himself some power. He does not have that kind of power at home.

My kids can not buy spray paint, hobby paint, but they can carry guns and drive cars.

"Nail clippers do not kill people, people kill people."

Maybe there is a use for them in the illegal drug trade or for torture? I had to show my identification to buy a sensitive balance for mixing small lots of epoxy resins. Or, perhaps the clerk just wanted to see your daughter's ID? From what you say, she is quite a catch.

I think the collateral loss of our freedoms caused by excesses and claimed excesses of a few (I think some so-called excesses are just a ruse for more control) is way under appreciated.

John

We are slowly moving towards Idiocracy (as in the film).

Jobsworth and stupidity knows no bounds these days.

An example from an aviation forum:
Comercial airline pilots have had nail clippers (as described by Nigel) confiscated at airport security, yet little do the security minions realise that all commercial aircraft carry an axe (ie a great big chopper!) in the cockpit for use in emergencies such as fire etc.

Any tool can be used as a weapon if you hold it the right way.

JimB

Why even search a pilot? The more I think about it, the nerdy clerk probably just wanted to see her ID to get her name and address.

I don't mean to frighten Nigel, but I have three, beautiful daughters. Some jerks know no bounds in trying to make contact.

John

I hear there is going to be a sanity test before you can log into a forum. (or in my case a spelling test)

So do you have to pass it or fail it before you can log on? :confused:

Why even search a pilot? The more I think about it, the nerdy clerk probably just wanted to see her ID to get her name and address.

I don't mean to frighten Nigel, but I have three, beautiful daughters. Some jerks know no bounds in trying to make contact.

I would imagine it was a woman (and most probably not a lesbian :D), she apologised and said she thought it was utterly stupid as well, but that was the orders from head office.

Security at Johannesburg airport took away my very small pair of side cutters which I used as nail clippers, let me keep a small pair of pliers [used for removing tick's]

Along side the check point was a very large box full of small metal objects taken from passengers, I wonder whats happens to them..:rolleyes:

That really is amazing that someone gets asked for ID like that. Have you heard the expression 'Rent-a-Cop' people with a little power take it on their own right to become them. Sounds like this lady was won of them.

Ironic, I just quoted that movie in a post about 5 min ago. you posted it first though. great movie.

I'm going to watch it today ;)

That's Poundland for you, the fact that they extend the age limits on their restricted goods is rather telling on their opinions on their clientel. It's a rather odd system they have there too. I bought my friend a pipe (Yep the one you smoke) as a sort of daft birthday present when I was 17, yet they won't sell me a wall paper scraper at the tender age of 20.

I saw the movie "Idiocracy" for the first time fairly recently. It actually surprised me how much of it actually had a firm foundation in our world today. If the world continues to go the way it's going now, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up like the people in the movie. I've just been seeing more and more idiots lately....

I was recently in a line at a store, where a gray-haired lady, very clearly in her 80's or 90's, was being carded to buy a lottery ticket or something. I couldn't believe my eyes! And nail clippers....well, that's a whole different story!!!!!

What is this world coming to?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back