Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to find an LED circuit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wacky

I'm curious if anyone has an LED circuit that will have a series of LEDs flash one at a time? I've only been able to find a circuit from Forest Sims that would have the LEDs light up one at a time as voltage increased, but not go out afterward.

I'd like to have something powered by 12v DC or less.

Sign--
Wacky​

Last edited:
You are not giving us info on what the purpose of your display is. If it is sequential, the 4017/4020 CMOS with drivers for the LEDs on the outputs is what you are after. If you want a volt or VU meter the LM3914 series of ICs can be configured in dot mode. E

See what you mean...

Okay, I see from your examples that I wasn't clear enough--sorry.

What I want to function is as follows:

1. Light One Turns on
2. Light Two Turns on as Light One turns off
3. Light Three Turns on as Light Two turns off
4. Light Four Turns on as Light Three turns off
5. Light One Turns on as Light Four turns off, Goto 2

That is the effect I wish to produce using a circuit powered by 12V or less DC.

Does that help?

Sign--
Wacky​

So you want something like this:

**broken link removed**

But with fewer LEDs correct? You want it to count to N (Number) and recycle.

This is easily done using a 4017 chip as decade counter divider and a 555 chip used as the clock.

Ron

Last edited:
Ah-yup!

That's the goal of my endevors.

I've gone to the Texas Instruments' website, but couldn't find a way to download the datasheets.

I'm not worried about recounting the N cycles, I can just add more LEDs. No biggie.

Anyone know where I can find these?

Sign--
Wacky​

The parts you want are a 555 timer and a 4017. The data sheet for the 555 timer can be had here and the data sheet for the 4017 counter can be found here. Any electronic parts house should have those parts and they are very inexpensive. They would be setup with a small handful of other parts. This is a very common circuit and a Google of 4017 LED Circuits should bring up plenty of hits or there is a variation that can be found here.

I Know Radio Shack sells the 555, not sure about the 4017.

This link has some real good explenartions and circuits:

Ron

Last edited:
Thank you for all the help and links to the datasheets. I'll be going over the "all about circuits' " link tonight!

Sign--
Wacky​

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back