Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to make multiplication circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJokerV

I hope everyone is doing well. I need to make a circuit which multiplies two analog inputs. Essentially I have to build a circuit which takes in 2 voltages and has an output voltage equal to some constant time the two voltages multiplied together. I know how to build exponential, summation and difference circuits using opamps but I have no ide how to build a multiplication circuit. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks guys.

You need a log circuit, which is basically the inverse of the exponential circuit.

Two inputs, A and B
Log them both
add them up
take the exponent.

Mathematically, log(A*B) = log(A)+log(B)

so

A*B = 10 ^ (log(A)+log(B))

(assuming a base 10 log but any base will do as long as your exponential is to the same base)

This is how log table or slide rules allowed us to do reasonably accurate multiplication or division before calculators.

There have been analog multiplication circuits that use this principal. It is now much easier to do it all digitally.

Could you use something like the AD834. Google four quadrant multipliers for others.

Mike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back