Need wide range DC amplifier--Bias question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Varmint

I am mainly concerned with RE on a single NPN transistor. But if anyone has all values, would be appreciated. What I want is with a minimum range, I believe about .5 volts total input, I need to change the output the full power supply range from 0 to 6 volts. I believe if RE is too low I will not get the full range. I don't care if the power output is low.

Thanks.

A transistor has an input offset voltage of about 0.65V. Use an opamp that has an input offset voltage of 5mV or less instead.
An LM358 dual opamp operates from a single supply as low as 3V. It can have any amount of DC gain that you want.

A transistor has an input offset voltage of about 0.65V. Use an opamp that has an input offset voltage of 5mV or less instead.
An LM358 dual opamp operates from a single supply as low as 3V. It can have any amount of DC gain that you want.

Hey thanks Guru. Yeah I already made the board and cut it out so I got enough room to squeeze one transistor on it. But really that's all I want. The Op Amps have too many gates. I want this low low power.

An MC33171 is a single low power opamp in an 8-pins case. It is an improved half of an LM358 dual opamp.
Its power supply current is only 0.18mA to 0.22mA depending on supply voltage. Of course the supply current increases when it works hard.
It also works from a supply as low as 3V.

Opamps have no gates.

Probably wrong term. I meant transistors.

I don't know what you want a transistor to do.

I am just getting ready to test it. I squeezed it in on a perforated board that is 3" X 1" with the receiver already on it. All through hole parts but I found a corner to put the transistor and it's resistors. It will just amplify the input DC level change. So I hope I can transpose the .5 volt change to almost 0 to 6 volts change.

A transistor does not amplify a low DC voltage to a higher DC voltage very well.
Its input voltage is temperature sensitive and is about (all transistors are different) 0.6V at about 0.43uA for the output to conduct only 0.1mA maybe at 6V. Then the input current can be increased (or the input voltage to a resistor in series with the base can be increased) for the collector voltage to drop to about 0.4V.

A single-supply opamp can do it perfectly without temperature sensitivity.

Yeah I discovered it the hard way....trial and error. What I did was squeeze one more transistor and one more resistor to make a differential amplifier. Now I got an inverting output and a non-inverting output but still trying to optimize the circuit. Right now I got more change at the input than I do the output but I have more like a 1.5 change at input. There are different styles of differential amps. I'm trying the one with one of the bases hard wired to ground.

Why not use an opamp? Make it on a little circuit board that stands up then it takes much less space.
You might have an input that goes to ground and you might want an output that also goes to ground. Then use a single supply opamp like an MC33171 or MC34071. Half of a LM358 dual opamp will also work.

Man I'm telling you I'm about ready to. Something just is not going right here!!!

You know Guru. I'm gonna abandon the regen. receiver. I hooked up a battery pack and could not get the same audio. Those things are just too unstable. They work but I would not expect your average Joe to tolerate such a device. Not anymore. I went back to an inverter transistor configuration and it leveled out the signal but the battery pack deal was very discouraging. I think I will take the DC receiver and break the coupling point to the audio and go ahead and convert it again. I intend to use the least amount of parts as possible. This is not a communications receiver. Just something to enjoy short-wave broadcasts. I want this low power. So I think a good low frequency 2nd local oscillator will do the trick. I should get a high output off of it, then mix it and try an LC filter or maybe scrounge of a 455Hz cermic filter out of an old radio and the run it back to the audio. May 2 or 3 more transistors.

As a side note it was interesting that the first two stages of the regenerative receiver double as an oscillator and I found that the two transistor relaxation type oscillator was rather stable with a high output! Also that same technique (the feedback) could be used as a receiver front end for high sensitivity. Of course you want a fixed bandpass which is not hard at all. A parallel resonant front end filter works quite well and is only two parts with a series coupled capacitor making 3 total.

edit*

At any rate, that will remove the beat note though I might find some birdies along the way.

Oh, response to the synchronis receiver someone mentioned. I looked at it and I do understand the concept. I think after what I just observed with those type circuits. I for see instability problems with a broad tuning range. It would probably require less circuitry just to do another conversion. Yes, overall I thing dual conversion superhets reign supreme.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…